lowfalls landing river report

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by boedict, Jun 17, 2009.

1. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Went to the river lastnight to see how the cats were biteing.Had to throw the net an hour and a half to get enough bait to fish.The water is still running hard and is still muddy.Started fishing about 9 and got my first good run soon after,Couldnt get the hook set.Ended up with 5 good runs put 3 fish in the boat biggest was 37 inches long (forgot the scales at the house) And the other 2 were 7 to 10 #. The bite was slow but when they hit they just took it.:big_smile::big_smile: I started fishing in 8' of water and was getting all my bites on my right rod witch was in 12 feet of water. I was using small bait(shad) on 2 rods and big bait (shad) on 2 rods,seemed the big bait was doing the best. I put the big cat back in the river and cleaned the 2 small ones.While cleaning these fish I looked to see what they have been eating.FULL of crawdads. I feel shure you can catch some fish on the old crawdad and there is a bunch of them in the river right now. AS I said there is a bunch of crawdads, does anybody know why? In seven years of fishing there this is the first year ive ever caught them.Hope this report helps. HAPPY FISHING TO ALL:big_smile::smile2::tounge_out:

Attached Files:

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the feedback, Troy. Sometimes those that take the rod hard with no hook-up are gars. There are plenty of them up that way this time of year.

3. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina

Thanks for the report. I was hoping you'd have something up before the weekend.

I'm really interested in this crawdad thing. I've never tried it but I wonder how well a few traps dropped in the river might do? There's not much better eating than a mess of mud bugs.

4. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I was thinking about a trap myself.I was just going to throw some chicken in it and see what it does. The other night when I went to the landing after getting bait there were 2 people throwing nets at the ramp and they caught a bunch of them. im going to try it and ill let you know how it turns out.

5. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was at low falls two thursdays ago and in the first cut threw on the left going down in the grass there were blues up in the grass this is the second time i have seen this are those fish after crawfish