Lowfalls landing river report

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by boedict, May 29, 2009.

1. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Went to the river to to see how things looked.Water is way up running hard and muddy.Didnt plane on fishing cause of all the trash in the river.Went ahead and throwed the cast net to see what bait was like. caught 5 gizzard a big carp and 2 manhadden shad in 3 throws.Thought if bait is that easy maybe the fish would be biteing.Fished for 3 hours caught one blue 10# and a 7# blue only 2 bites I had all night.Lot of leafs and other trash on my bait from that strong current and dirty water.No rain for the weekend(so they say)next week should be alot better.Happy fishing to ALL:big_smile::big_smile:

2. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Thank's for the report!

3. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina

Thanks for the info! We're gonna try to give her a go betwean 601 and Low Falls tonight. I drove across this morning and the river has probably come up a foot and a half in the last 2 days. You're dead on, it's all muddy and running hard. I've caught some really nice fish under these conditions before but it doe's make it more difficult. It's a lot harder to handle boat and bait placement and you have to consistently clean your lines. I'm taking out 3 pretty hardcore fishermen tonight so at least I'll have plenty of help and they'll have plenty to do.:smile2:

For some reason I'm always suprised when I catch fish when the water is nasty. I think it's because the bite is slower and you're working so much harder. The current breaks that you normally fish are a lot more intense too. I think I kind of write the day off and then BLAM!!!:crazy:.... there's a fish. Anyway, any day fishing is a good day. If you get out and about keep us posted for sure.

4. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Lawrence One thing you can do is use a float at your bait. I fish a carolina rig and put a float just above my hook keeps your bait off the bottom so you dont pick up so much trash on your bait.What are you using for bait tonight?

5. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I hadn't really thought of that. It seams I catch most of the trash at the weight intead of the hook. Problem is once it builds up it's hard to keep my bait in place and my lines will start twisting because the swivels are defeated.

As far as bait is concerned, I'm open to suggestions. I'm hoping to pick up some blue backs (Cayce) or shad (Santee) after work and maybe hit the pond for some bream before I head to the landing. We'll carry a cast net but we haven't been doing much good with it and I don't want to end up chasing bait instead of fishing. I'm hoping to run mostly live lines tonight because in my boat that means things are going good:wink:. I guess I'll probably start with 5 or 6 rods running a combination of live bream and shad and 5 or 6 with various cutbait until I start getting a feel for what's working.

6. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Sounds good try alittle of everything till you find out what they want.I didnt have any bait to fish live all the shad I had were over a pound so I used all cut bait.Good luck hope you guys burn em up.Be safe that water is running fast.

7. InletFool

InletFool New Member

State:
    SC
    All you Guys are great. I'm new to the area and it's real nice to have all the information you give.
    Hope to see all on the water soon.....

www.RiversTurkeyCalls.net

Mitch

8. turkeyman

turkeyman New Member

State:
    South Carolina, Swansea
    It is good to see that there are a few people fishing lowfalls. I don't see much about it on here. Ya'll heard anything about how the fishing is over in the flats. Thanks for the report.