lowest common denominator minus one...

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by baitchunker, Feb 18, 2008.

1. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    well an old catfishing buddy of mine had a b-day this weekend. we have been fishing together for about 13 years. he called and said he wanted to go out on the water for a couple hours sat. afternoon... nuthin serious, just a chance to get out of the house. (he's a newlywed)

we loaded the boat and grabbed some river minnow's and livers and headed to a deep hole we know. water temp. 51-54 depending on depth. slight breeze-partly cloudy-water clarity poor- but, all in all a beautiful day. we anchored and got set-up. chunked some bait out and commenced to b.s.'in and catching up on life in general. as time went by we noticed we had not had so much as a hit... not even a nibble.

we decided to move, still telling each other we didnt really care if we cought any fish or not. we just wanted to be on the water.

5 spots-7 hours later-10:30 p.m. and we finally began to admit our mutual lie. we did care! we did want to catch fish! we allready knew enough about each others lives! we NEEDED fish. apparently that is why we didnt catch a single fish. whats worse, we didnt have a single hit. i knew i shoulda thawed out some shad, or gills, or bought worms for the squeelers, or done the fish dance. anything! but, nothing.

that was a big lesson for us, and me especially. i dont fish to "get away" i dont fish to "enjoy a gorgeous day" i fish to catch those lil' sons of bass! i wont ever lie to myself about that again.

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ah, gee whiz my heart bleeds for you. Look at it this way, you ain't dead are ya? In all our lives a little rain must fall.

These kids nowadays, immediate gratification. Sometimes every cow you see doesn't have teats.

Better luck next time, JD.

At least you could fish. John.

3. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    ITS the experience of it all sometimes you get more sometimes you get less but each and every time your out there enjoying yourself you learn something feel something you enjoy yourself with or with out fish. yea you were bummed you caught nothing but you got essentially what you went for to get out of the house to catch up to hang out to enjoy the great outdoors and if thats not whats its about then catching fish in a bath tub would be just as gratifying wouldnt it? dont be bummed you didnt catch anything be happy you were there and you learned something for next time.

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hearts 'n' flowers to ya, JD...:smile2:

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Sounds like ya'all may have been suffering from a barley and hops deficiency.:wink::smile2:

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    JD, I really don't think at 10:30 p.m. either one of you really wanted to catch a fish, I would bet it finally dawned on the newly wed that he needed proof that he had actually been fishing :eek:oooh::smile2:. Needed some fish smell to tone down the liquor smell:smile2:. Lesson learned always bring some frozen shad to at least rub on him before you send him home:wink::smile2:J/K.

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    sorry for the crappie luck JD. hell i went out on monday afternoon and caught nothing but a couple of gills and 2 small bass. nothing to brag about. so its not just you. i really wanted to catch some kitties, its just not quite time yet.

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    You'll get em next time, maybe the water is just a little to cold yet for them to be real active. Helk at least you got out and got some bait wet. I haven't even done that.

9. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    excellent points brothers. especially about the shortage, or ahh abundance of frosty beverages. it was nice to get out on the water and chunk bait.

note to self: do not put stink bait in mouth to hide alcohal smell... then your breath smells drunk and stupid...

10. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    At least you got to enjoy the comrodery of a good friend and hey a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work........unless you fish for a living.

11. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Joey,
    I must have misunderstood the message that he was trying to convey.:confused2: I thought they went fishing for catfish.:roll_eyes: I didn't realize they were fishing for Crappie.LOL:big_smile:

12. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I do believe he was better off goin home to a new wife smellin from catfish bait than from fish. LOL

13. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What I can't figure out is why a newlywed would sit out fishing for hours with no action, when his bride is waiting for him at home.:confuse: I believe at this stage of the game the young man needs to get his priorities in order.:wink:

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    J D,Fishing is lots of fun,But If I aint catchin after while It aint. I dont go to fish ,I go to catch. an eatin my catch is icing on the cake.

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Better luck for next time!

16. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    well hell Glenn, if he went for catfish instead of crappie thats his whole problem. sounds to me like the bite out there is mostly crappie right now. :wink:

17. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i'll admit, my friend has strange priorities. i even mentioned that to him. but, his wife did tell him the magic phrase. "stay as long as you want". Amy knows better than to tell me that. experience has shown her that when given such a rope, i will surely hang myself.

and yes the bite is CRAPPIE.