Lowering lake levels

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by thenightstalker, Oct 17, 2006.

1. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    here where i live, there are many lakes unlike the southern part of the state. yall have alot better river fishing down there unlike here. so unless i travel, im fishing a lake. 2 of my favorite lakes around here to fish are pike and winona lakes. here very very soon, they will drop the water level to, in my opinion, inadequite levels. if you plan to fish winona lake after the level drops, better hope you have a pass to access the lake through the fairgrounds. the channel from the ramp is down to meer inches. motoring through is a thing of the past at this time. trolling motor only unless u wanna churn up alot of muck. i once hooked an old set of bed springs with my prop. i was so mad. cost me new prop just going through that channel. pike lakes inst bad with debris, its just so very hard to put ur boat in cause you have to practically drive your truck into the lake just to get your boat floating off the trailer. upsetting that a guy has to go through so much turmoil to fish a "state owned" lake that is controled more or less by some guy with the lake association. the lakes lower is some cases 2 to 3 feet. ices up, then i can fish a little easier. then here comes the worst part of all. the spring. im sure all of you know that our water table is down quite a bit. the excat level forsure, i dont know. that might be a good question to ass fish geek. awesome pike fishing comes right after ice out. soon followed by the hot crappie run. biggins if you can brave the early year cold. the good rains we use to get in the springs are rare occurence anymore. so the lake stays low low low all spring into the early summer months. so of my best holes for pike and crappies are dissapearing due to low low and even lower lake levels. i dont understand why these lakes have to be lowered so low. these two lakes have adjustable dams. why cant the be adjusted to real time water instead of just lowering them way down all at once. im just looking for some input of what you others think before i go talking with the dnr about this situation. thanx yall

2. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    You're right Zach, they do drop Winona pretty low. I'll ask today what the justification for that is. In some cases, dropping water levels in the winter is an effective way to help control aquatic vegetation in shallow areas. Of course, there's always a fine line between too much vegetation (for boating & fishing) and not enough vegetation for all the little critters in the lake that need that habitat. I hear ya about the public access at Winona & Pike. I had a hard time launching my boat at Pike with normal water levels! When would you like to see those water levels back up to normal? Early March?

3. thenightstalker

State:
    indiana
    early march would be nice. but then again i dont want the lake people being flooded out if we get some heavy spring rains. i know that the dam is adjustable. so maybe the lake level could be brought up some in early march, but at a decent level where in case of heavy rains, they could channel the water out quick enough so people dont get flooded out. bu8t yes definatly early march.

4. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Lakes are designed to control flooding below the dam not above.
    Steve

5. skippie2use

skippie2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We would know wouldnt we steve. If brookville dam every breaks we will both get wet. OK drowned

6. thenightstalker

State:
    indiana
    sorry guys. im talking about NATURAL LAKES. not lakes constructed by the army corp of engineers. i understand where you guys come from there. they build those lakes(reservoirs) to prevent flooding. winona and pike lakes are natural lakes in which a dam was constructed to raise the water levels in the lake. draining them in the winter, isnt real logical to me. i know with out a doubt, that winona lake will be lowered this year because they want to fix the shore line in front of the fairgrounds because its eroding away. still though, i dont see why the lake must be lowered so early in the fall. then block back up so late in the spring. we need to find a happy median. another thought of why they lower the lake so early is so all those rich lake front property owners can get their peirs out easier. i wish i had the facts of why the lakes are lowered so early, then blocked to fill up so late.