Lowering Lake Levels - Planned??

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by 4JS, Jul 16, 2008.

1. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Have any of you heard whether or not Santee Cooper will be purposefully lowering the lake levels to work on the Locks at Pinopolis?
    I have heard rumors that the lake will be dropped from 9' to 13' so that this work can be done.
    If so, does anyone know the "time table" for this work, completion, etc.?

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Last year these same rumors were floating around and they are just that rumors. I look at it like this: Santee-Cooper is in the buisness of making power and to drop the level intentionally that low when there is no water coming in woujld stop that process and they arent goint to jeprodizze there buisness of making power.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Just what James said; this went around last year, and they haven't asked me anything about dropping the levels, so there! :big_smile:
    The rumors probably get started because SC is hauling many tons of huge rocks and placing them along all the dikes around both lakes, but this is routine maintenance and doesn't really require dropping the lake levels.

4. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    That rumor comes around every year and does not scare me. The rumor that does scare me is the inland port (google Inland Port at Santee for more info). Not sure how a 400 foot barge is gonna get through the Canal with all the boats anchored down. It would be easy to say this is a far fetched idea, but the builders and and investors are the folks from Dubai that have already built islands in the ocean that house sky scrapers, so I guess they could make the inland port work:angry:

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ed are they back on that subject again. I know a couple of years ago it was a hot subject but got shot down or obvioslly put on the back burnere. That does suck and I hope it will not happen but we are going to have to stand together to get this stopped.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...That rumor comes around every year and does not scare me...."

I tell you what will scare you. :eek:oooh:

A man told me that last year down at the dam they had divers down in the water working on the dam and guess what they saw? :wink:

7. Bassman1

Bassman1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It is amazing to hear these rumors and how they spread. The lake level will continue to drop, not because of any planned drawdown, but simply because Santee Cooper Power Authority is mandated to release more water than what is being sent down from upstream. The upstate is in exteme drought conditions and the portion that isn't in extreme drought is in the next level down. The math is simple 2000 cubic feet per second inflow minus 4800 cfs outflow = a droping water level. We are already ahead of (lower than) last years decline.

by the way, the locks have been repaired and are now operating.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Dieter let me guess ;a gator big enough to rip a mans arm off.!!!!!!!:tounge_out:

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Scott welcome back to the BOC.

10. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Wylie, you ain't kiddin'. My entire life I have been deathly afraid of those things at the base of the dam. Scott Lamprecht himself told me they are as big as volkswagons. And Rivercat, you should be sleeping right now....good luck this weekend

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    :crazy: :eek:oooh: You know thats just wrong.................and I'll fuss at you as soon as I stop laughing.