Lower white river NWR

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by mtrimble, May 21, 2006.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I take a trip down to the lower white outside of St. Charles every year. Man, I love it down there in those bottoms. mosquitoes + crawdads = catfishing paradise. Just got back from there. The water was a bit lower than usual so the fishing was a bit slower than usual. Nevertheless, the three of us who went caught a good load of channel cats. Does anyone fish the refuge on here? Im surprised there isn't a thread on this place since, in my opinion, it is some of the best catfishing in the country.

2. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Matt
    What parts do you fish down there? Ive fished the Big Island Chute a few times and its full of fish. Never fished any of those slews and oxbows though. I hear they are all full of fish and I know there are hundreds of them. Ive also fished the white right there where big island chute hits it and thats awesome. Dont get down there near enough though. But your right, it is a fishing as well as hunting paradise that not a whole lot of people take advantage of.

3. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I fished stinking bay and a few lakes. The bay was a bit more productive as the lakes were a bit lower and murkier than usual. In the morning we found fresh bear tracks near our camp. That was pretty cool.

4. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Matt, have you fished jacks bay down that way? We've fished white all the way to clarendon. Thats about as far as we've fished and the fishing from devalls bluff to clarendon is good. Every trip down there was good. It seems the further south on the white the better. Why i have no idea. I've heard of jacks bay and was told all you needed was 20 jugs and they would keep you busy all night long. Maybe this year we'll take the time off the mississippi to try and get down that way to see whats goin on... It is pretty country down that way isn't it?

5. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    DANNY-
    Is Jacks Bay where Lagrue Bayou hits the White? If it is, I have fished it one time. We got there just before dark so we didnt go out real far since we didnt know the area, then just after we started catching some cats, a huge thunderstorm came up and we had to get off the river. Fished it some the next morning and then we had to leave. Anyways, we caught a good mess for no longer than we fished. I talked to some old guys at the Boat ramp that morning who were trotlining and they said theyve caught 50-70 pound blues and flatheads out of there. Ill bet they were fun to get off the trotline.

6. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    jack's bay is where lagrue runs in...............outside of tichnor.......

7. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    No Danny I didn't fish Jack's Bay. There is just so much to choose from down there it is hard to decide. I just pop the topo map out and say "hey that looks like a cool bend." Then I find a boat ramp (or make my own) and Im off. It sure is pretty down there and I could spend a lifetime exploring those bottoms. That is, until the mosquitoes do me in.