Lower wateree river

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by martygreen, Aug 27, 2006.

1. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    has anyone been catching in big flats or blues near 378 or 601,havent heard much on that area this year,has been good spots in the past,i personally havent been this year,just wandering if there was anything going on down that way

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Back about two years ago the fishing was pretty good around that area, but I am not sure of now.

3. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    yea,thats the last time we was down that way,i've gotten more in to the lake fishing lately for the big cats,i do still love going to lughof and around,but we have gotten into the drifting deal more as we can cover more water without waiting on them to come to us

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

People tell me I am crazy but I believe that Lake Murray is a very good catfish lake. I have had multiple days of fishing there when we caught 20 fish with an average weight of 10 pounds. My biggest fish there is 23 pounds. Lugoff and the surrounding area do have a lot of good waters to fish also.

5. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    yea,i fish Murray alot,never tried the cats there though,all i fish for there is striper,we do pretty good on them,i used to fish lughoff probably 8-10 times a year and some on down to 378 and 601,kinda got out of the river fishing,i prefer the lakes now mostly,i fish wylie for crappie,murray for striper,wateree for cats and striper and marion for cats,we mainly do the drift thing these days,can cover whole lot more water,we do anchor fish some in some good holes,depends mostly on weather and wind

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have a buddy down there that sent me a copy of an article from S.C. Fish and game saying that while Wateree and that group of water is best producer of catfish Murray has to be the most over looked for catfish. The catfishing is good down there, cut herring is king for baits. There are several places to bank fish SC&G#3 off of 378 is one of them and Larry Koon Landing being close to good fishing if you have a boat. I fish at least once there everytime we go down and always catch some great fish. Flatheads and channels.

7. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I heard the lower section of the Wateree river has a gator problem and the fishing isn't as good as it was. One guy told me he counted about 200 gators in a 10 stretch of the river. He said the gators are eating way too many fish.

8. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    South Carolina /Lake Murray
    I work for SCE&G & we have a plant that I fish at that is down that way ,, Wateree Plant is at 601 & Bluff Road ,,, this year the water has been really low from the reports I have gotten so we have not been down there , its 1.5 hour drive for us & with gas prices high & water low, we just started fishing Monty instead , good thing about wateree is I can fish from the bank,,, bad thing is it so far away ,, we have caught 20-25 over 20 pounds & the largest was around 40 , I have saw one that went 65 pounds from there , was caught by a co worker , it has flat heads & blues ,, prolly more blues than flats ..

9. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I sometimes fish the log jams on the sides of the lower Wateree when I'm not doing anything in the Santee. Haven't been since May but they were bitting then.