Lower Waccamaw 12-23-08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by rivercatsc, Dec 23, 2008.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I decided after lower than normal water temps about a month ago that the big blues have moved down ther rivers in search of more food. I usually dont start fishing down at the coast until the end of January but I decided I would try them a little early this year. My cousin, his 12 year old son, and me set out this morning taking our time eating breakfast to let some of the cold temps to warm up. I had some eels, white perch, and frozen gizzard shad but decided to go try and castnet some fresh shad or mullet. Well we found the mullet but no shad and then we rode around marking fish for about a hour until we decided to fish. I normally catch more fish on the incoming tide so I wasnt too concerned about fishing the full cycle of the outgoing but I believe I should have. We set up about 11:30 and by the time of dead low tide, 1:30, we had a 25lber, 23lber, 15lber, and a 10lb blue in the boat all on filleted white perch. We fished the incoming tide with a stiff 15mph NW wind blowing against the tide made the conditions pretty harsh. 1'-2' waves and with the high water levels of the waccamaw the current never was moving fast. We had a few more bites on cut mullet and had 1 really BIG fish come unglued after fighting him for about 30sec. Great day but didnt move around much due to the wind speed and direction. Water temps were 52deg. They are there and I cant wait to get back and give them a try.

Attached Files:

2. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Nice catch James.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Just lemme foller you when ya go!!! :big_smile:

BB in SC

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Awesome man, glad you guys got some good fish! That's the same water temp. as the Cape Fear was today, I figured it would have cooled off more than a degree or two with the two really cold nights we've had. Ya get any up shallow or were they all deep?

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Might be earlly next week I will let you know.:big_smile:

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    the hole I caught all 4 fish in was a steep drop off that goes from 4' on 1 side of the boat and 24' on the other. Had 1 good bite in the shallow water but all the fish came off of the same rod in the deeper water. The incoming tide was almost non-exsitent hardly any current and I think that had something to do with the slow bite later on in the day. I couldnt move around much due to the wind so I didnt get toexplore as mauch as I wanted to. Wes do yall do better on ay certain tide?

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It's kinda weird, in the more brackish blues only water the incoming tide seems to be really good and certainly the only tide to fish on some spots I just think so long as it's moving good it don't matter which direction it's going in. However, on up river about 6-8 miles the incoming tide bite is just about non-existent or at least for us anyway. We got a few hits up shallow today but nothing that hooked up. We had some issues with the tide today too, it was supposed to start coming in around 1:30 (which means about 2 usually) and it just kinda trickled out until almost 4 o'clock. When it finally did switch it came in pretty hard though.

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Most of my bigger fish have been caught on the incoming tide but I have caught lots of fish on the outgoing too. The incoming tide just never seemed to ever flow in the level just got higher. I think the High water levels in the rivers lately had effect on it. Thanks for all of the info and help Wes.

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    No problem man, I'm just happy there's some other people that fish tidal water other than the James. You ever flathead fish around there?

10. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    That makes for a merry christmas.:wink: Thanks for sharing your trip James.

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    No but it is full of them and some really big ones. I went up there 1 night this summer nad caught some nice blues but never a flathead. That is 1 reason I want to do some more looking around.

12. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I was up there one day last week and marked a lot of fish, also, but didn't take time to fish that area. Had actually intended to go today, but changed my mind at the last minute (BRRRRR) and decided to get everything set up for smokin' and grillin' tomorrow. Glad to hear you guys caught them.

Pork and Turkey all injected, seasoned down, grill and smoker ready for cooking in the morning, at least. :big_smile:

13. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Nice cats! Thanks for sharing!

14. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Good job James. I know it will be tough to beat your last winter's catch of 600+lbs but atleast you got on some of them.
    I agree with you that the blues are deeper this time of year with it being cold and all. I'm not sure where the flatheads are though. I've only caught them in the warm weather way up river above Conway. I have a really nice map of the Intercoastal I'll bring for you to look at when I see you again. You might could get some ideas from it to find'm.
    Merry Christmas!!!
    Jonathan

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks Johnathan but I do plan on beating the 644lb record from last year but I believe I need to try fishing at night for the real hawgs. I have been keeping a log on them for the last 3 years and I have the peak time narrowed down to a 1-2 week period and I plan on putting it to a test next well year. I wont disclose the dates just yet.:wink::smile2:

16. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    As long as you invite me then and we catch fish I'll keep your secret a secret...lol