Lower Waccamaw 1 31 09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The "bluebird" sky did not grace us with the luck others had around the state yesterday. We fished hard from can see to can't see. Boated one small blue on rod and reel. Caught 2 blues in the cast net lookin' for bait, but NO fresh bait! :smile2: Sunbird's call telling me of everyone else's success gave me renewed energy to try to finish the day out with a respectable fish. We finally hung one in the 20 to 30 pound range. Got him to the top of the water for a glimpse before he got tangled in other lines and got off. Did get the line slimed up real good though! :wink::smile2: Hopefully next Saturday will be a better day there for our tourney! I'd feel like an idiot bringing our redneck live tank, and turning in NO fish! :embarassed: Also, our rod rack is still too high, so we have yet another day of work to get it RIGHT! The bright side is that our trip came off without mishap, and I woke up again today for another day of typing!! Praise God!

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    You know what they say Bill, A bad day of fishin'...blah, blah.
    Personally, I never have a bad day of fishing but I do some times have a bad day of catchin':wink::wink:
    ...W

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the report, Bill. Hopefully next Saturday will be better for everyone that's fishing in the Pee Dee Catmasters tournament. :smile2:
    The cold water temps have caused a lot of bait fish, including mullet to die off along the coast., making it a little harder to find them.

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Dang Bill yall keep going down there and sore mouthing all of those fish and at some point time they just have to say hey I remeber that big red boat.:smile2: I would doubt that the bluebird sky has anything to do with. There were too many fish caught yesterday for that to be the case. I was thinking that alot of bait was probablly dying off and they might have gone Shallow on you.:wink: Just a thought.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I would doubt that the bluebird sky has anything to do with. There were too many fish caught yesterday for that to be the case. I was thinking that alot of bait was probablly dying off and they might have gone Shallow on you.:wink: Just a thought.>

Yes, I WAS blaming the bluebird sky, until I got word of fish being caught everywhere else. As for fishin' shallow, well, we did set up on drop offs several times, placing bait shallow and deep. THEY say 90&#37; of the fish are in 10% of the water, but when I get to big water areas, sometimes it is overwhelming trying to actually locate the fish. That's what I have always admired about the Santee, and other big water guides. Not their fish catching abilities, but their ability to know where the fish are, during certain seasons and weather patterns. I'm sure it must cost small fortunes in fuel to log enough hours on the water figuring out big water fish patterns. That said, we would be mighty LUCKY if we placed in the tourney next weekend. I'm sure the local anglers there know these patterns, and have a better idea where the fish might be. We will certainly be there trying though. Maybe we can pre-fish Friday and locate some fish. I'll be back in my element in March at the North Santee RIVER! :wink:

Bill in SC

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Something I had to learn a few years ago is the price of a good map and good electronics go ALONG way to locating fish. But yo are right you have ride and look sometimes.:wink:

7. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Here is how I did it Bill, I went and bought a purple bag with a glass bottle inside that was filled with a brown liquid. I couldn't get the fish to eat my bait, but that guide sure liked that brown stuff in that bottle. He dang near drank all of it! After we chatted for a while he laid down to take a nap and told me I could do whatever I wanted. OK!! It took some time but I downloaded his GPS, Sonar, Personal files, copied all his maps and then asked him 2,439 questions while he napped. He was gracious to answer everyone. Now I understand there are more ways to catch a fish than with a circle hook. I don't usually tell the "good stuff" to ANYONE but just for you, Bill, That brown juice is called Crown Royal and they sell it everywhere. But I have never seen it sold in a bait shop, I guess that's all part of the mystery?:eek:oooh: Maybe it's the purple bag? :crazy:I don't know?:smile2::wink:

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Man that had to have been Roundhill. Sounds just like him and he does talk in his sleep.:smile2:

9. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Yeap! sound Like Roundhill! He does talk in his sleep!:smile2:

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    One thing I can say with all certainty, Sunbird, you do "think outside the box'.

LOL! LOL! LOL! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

BB in SC

11. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    I have been wondering why James has ben in all my spots i did not know i talked in my sleep maybe i should record it then i whould know where to fish

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < I have been wondering why James has ben in all my spots i did not know i talked in my sleep maybe i should record it then i whould know where to fish>

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

BB in SC

13. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Bill, thanks for the report. Love the picture with your dog and hope you can get the rod rack adjusted for next week.

14. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Nice report...I love your boat setup. looks like lots of room and comfort!

15. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,

Wake the neighbors!!! That was funny, I guarantee it!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::eek:oooh::smile2:

16. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    So basically Sunbird is saying that a good bottle of hooch will spill secrets anyday...