Lower Waccamaw 1 3 09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    My crew met up with bearfrog this morning shortly after daylight. We quickly filled our live well with mullet, and commenced to catfishin'. FIRST drop of 2009, yielded a 51 pound blue! I think this is a very good omen about things to come for us in '09! We fished until about 4:30 pm, fishin' was slow, and we ended up with 123# of fish. Of course, these stats PALE in comparison to BassMassey's weekend last week, and to Sunbird's day today. (that's a story I'll let him tell) Nevertheless, it was a fullfilling day. Enjoyed the company of bearfrog, and we all had a good time! Look forward to our next opportunity! I got my digital scales back in service, so I know the weights are correct. I thought the scales were trashed, but all they needed was BATTERIES! :embarassed: Oh yeah, peglegreb followed us down there, and almost sunk from a leak. He nursed her back home and went and patched the hull where he had removed a transducer.
    BB in SC

Attached Files:

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Man yall rock Bill. Team Hardcore is going to be hard to contend with in 09'. Congrats on the hammer blue. Did you ever think that a 120+lb day would be a slow fishing day.:wink:

3. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Way to go Team Hardcore!:wink: Yeap! you gotta love them slow days like that.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < Did you ever think that a 120+lb day would be a slow fishing day.:wink:>

NO I didn't! But... yes it was! :smile2::wink::smile2:

I just thought of the most amazing thing, and I need an explanation. Chris cleaned 4 of the 15 pound range cats we caught. We always check the contents of their stomachs. In two of these fish, were NUMEROUS, and I mean 4 or 5, fresh mullet fillets!!!!!!!!!!!! There was even a tail, apparently cut right up with fillet knife. It appeared as if someone chummed the water with a 5 gallon bucket of fresh cut mullet, and these fish were gorging on it.!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can ANYONE PLEASE explain to me how this could be???!!! This was the oddest thing I have seen in a long time!

<Way to go Team Hardcore! Yeap! you gotta love them slow days like that. >

Yep, we sho ain't complainin'!!! :) :) :)

Bill in SC

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Somebody fished those same fish yesterday or last night cause fish dont have fillet knives.:smile2: I have seen that alot. Someone probablly through out there remaining baits when they got done fishing yesterday. I guarentee all of the internet chatter has got everyone looking for those kitties down there.:wink:

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    It seems like with the tides rolling as swift as they do, anything thrown in the water with no weight would quickly be swept away. I guess not, eh? James, we need to get up in the Black River and check that out. It is a most beautiful black water river, and I see lots of potential, looking at the topographical map, so graciously gifted to me by bearfrog.
    BB in SC

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have been up the black and have fished it a few times with very limited succuess, but with that being said I am always willing to try anything again especially with a new pair of eyes along.:wink: The bait washes into the same holes the fish lay in that causes current breaks and is consumed by them I reckon. I have found more weird stuff in fish down there than anywhere. I think they will eat anything that dont eat them first.

8. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    that's a great day bill...I would hardly call that a slow day........when we camped on oconee last fall most of the fish we caught were right off the bank from our camp.......we dumped lots of bait right near the docks when we came in from the boats everynight........when creteus cleaned the fish when he got home he said they were chock full of bream heads....i thought that was pretty funny....anyway I wanna try to make it down there for some of that action before they move back up-river.....

9. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    congrats on a "slow day" , man yall boys must be livin right or something:smile2:

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill, you have mail.... :smile2:

11. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Hello all.
    Thanks Bill for allowing me to join yall and go fishing. Had a great time. I knew the day was gonna be a good one when we got that 51lber on the first stop. Good job Terry on that one by the way. I was happy with my 17 and 15 blues myself. We gotta do that again. Oh yeah, you are most welcome on that topo map. I can get another one anytime here at the beach no problem. Maybe it can lead you to a nice flathead hole this year and you can take me there too...lol
    Thanks again,
    Jonathan
    bearfrog1@yahoo.com:smile2:

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Johnathan if I lived as close as you do to that awsome catfishery you couldnt beat me out of there. You need to get out there and show us where too fish.:wink:

13. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Man, ya'll are wearin' em' out! Nice fish Bill.

14. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Way to go guys on the great catches. Man what a way to start off the year with a 51

15. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Nice work out there! I'll take that "slow" 123 lbs any day!

16. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Thanks for the report Bill. Congrats on the big fish and thanks for sharing the pics.

17. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    way to go bill yall are wearing them out:smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
  19. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Now Bill.........We didn't catch no 51lb. WHOPPER!!! :eek:oooh::eek:oooh: Very nice!

I just love being on the water and if I catch fish....... well, all the better! 123lbs. is a great day!

BUT...............300lbs. is BETTER!! :wink:

I remember a butt whippin I got when I fished your water. Matter of fact I didn't catch ANYTHING!! Thanks for the report and pics!!:wink:

20. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Way to go Bill!! You boys have been tearing them up here lately. Our luck has gone down hill quick. We had a couple of good weeks there but the past couple have been pretty bad. Heck, Britton and I got skunked the other day and that hasn't happened in over 6 months:confused2: I dunno, gonna give it a go Friday afternoon if the wind will hold off....man I gotta get a bigger boat!