Lower unit

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Drawout, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    100 hp evinrude Went fishing last night and kept hearing something like a berring making noises so i come home today and when i went to check lower unit fluid this is what it looks like.Whats wrong How bad is it ?

Attached Files:

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    If your planing on useing it as a ice cream machine your ok. That don't look good. Hopefully it didnt tear up to much. Better tear it down and see what the damages are. Those lower units can get expensive, trust me been there..:crazy:

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    if you are hearing things in there im going to say your going to need to rebuild it looks to me like your lower seal went out an all the water burnt it up with the sounds that you are hearing in it

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Looks to me like some serious water and oil mixin. Dry dock and trouble shootin appears to be in order.

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just went through the same thing. only i caught mine before any serious trouble happened. i took off the lower unit, made a fitting that was the same thread as the vent. added a pressuer regulator and a guage. applied appr 6 lbs. air to it, dunked it in a tank of water and fount the shift shaft seal leaking. Bubbakat turned me on to the idea of air checking it. i was gonna completely reseal it. but i just replaced the one seal and ran it, i didnt do any damage to it luckily. i hope you're as lucky. i'd try to find the leak, and if it's not too expensive. fix it and run it. if the noise is gone, and there's not a lot of metal on the drain plug magnet. you might be as lucky as well.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yup, that's messed up alright. Never saw it come out white like that, it's usually more grey in color.

Anything you'd care to tell us about any maintenance you've done? Like when you changed oil last, or checked the prop shaft for fishing line.

Flush that lower unit good, and look for metal chunks in the oil. If you don't find any, you might still be ok.

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Changed about 8 months ago. Probally at least 30 trips.This is the electric shift type so it uses type c fluid.Goes in out of gear fine i just was hearing a noise kinda hard to hear sounded like a berring so i thought i should check and this is what i found.

8. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Never checked shaft for line should i ?

9. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    What should i flush it with,dont wanna ruin the seals if they are good .

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Johnny, if all your seals were good, you would not be in this situation. Myadvice is to check that lower unit for metal shavings. If you find ANY, you need to consider a major rebuild. If no shavings, flush that system, replace the seals and refill the unit. If I was to hazard a guess, I'd say all those seals were shot.

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yeah, I think I've mentioned checking prop shafts for fishing line that'll eat up the lower seal, a time or two. It should be a part of normal maintenance. There's times you just don't know though, and line will get in there without your knowledge.

If you can find the seals, look for a water pump too. No sense in dropping the lower unit for repairs without changing the pump.

12. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    When the oil is creamy, it is mixed with water. The lighter the color, the worse it is.

I bought a 10hp Johnson in 1999 in November. I spent all December mucking around with it. I was able to go to a local Merc dealer and buy all the seals and materials needed to rebuild the lower end. It ended up being a very good education for me. I am no place close to being a pro, but I can find my way around a boat motor now.

You might think about taking a weekend and going at the puppy. Worst case, you deliever it half assembled in a box to someong who can finish the job.

One great thing about a seal job, you can always tell if you missed something by the color of the oil.

CP