Lower unit/water pump - Help!! Motors aren't like computers!!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by TDawgNOk, Apr 3, 2006.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok, I can fix a computer. Just about ANY computer.

Motors, especially boat motors, I know nothing about. I was supposed to have help this past weekend from one of the guys I go to church with, to replace the impeller or water pump on my boat. His wife wouldn't let him. So now, I get to do it by myself and I don't have any idea what I am doing. He gave me some basic instructions.

He said pull the lower unit. Do this by putting the motor all the way in gear, pulling the 2 bolts on each side, and the one in the front. And marking it so I will know how to align it to get it back on. *(Oh great, like I know what "IT" is that I'm supposed to mark)*

I am attatching some images of my motor so I can find out if the 6 bolts that I think are for the lower unit actually are.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Hi
    I am not a fantastic boat motor mechanic but I have replaced a few waterpumps and from the pictures you have the correct bolts. Also before you remove the bolts in the picture there is going to be a plate with probably two screws or bolts about half way up the motor. First remove this plate and behind it will be etiher a shaft with two bolts in it or a second plate on some motors and then the shaft will be behind that. You sill need to remove the lower bolt in order to get the lower unit off. When you do get the lower unit off pay close attention to which way the propellers of the old water pump are curved an make sure to put new pump in the same way. I will also send you a private message with my phone no if you need to call I would be glad to try to talk you through it. Good luck!!!

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Be carfull not to danage the shift rod in to the lower unit, you will have to detach the shift rod. You should have at least a parts break down of the motor to show how the shift rod disconnects. When doing the pump, you should replace the pump housing and any involved seals as well as the impeller. The pump is mounted on the drive shaft on the top of the lower unit.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    do I need to drain the lower unit oil first???

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Also when reinstalling the lower unit make sure not to over torqe the six stainless steel bolts, The housing is only alluminum and over torqe can strip the threads of the housing. You really should get a service book for that motor and follow it, with that it wont be so difficult.
    Good luck!

6. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    You should not have to drain the lower unit oil. It is a sealed unit and the pump sits on tot of it.

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    But if you decide to drain the oil and it is milky looking then you probably have a bad seal some where that has let water into the unit

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Tony, those things can be tricky. If at all possible, I'd wait until I had someone with more experience to help me. Not saying you can't do it by yourself, just that you may be letting yourself in for a lot of grief.

9. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I agree, at least get a service manual.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Tony you have a PM comming your way.

11. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Tony, go your local public library.
    In the mechinics section,you can find books on old and new motors. They are really helpful with pics. After your first one, you'll be surprised how easy it is.
    (My advice; change the entire pump/impeller system. There isn't much price difference)

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If you're going to work on your motor, buy the SELOC or Haynes service manual for it. Available at a zillion online retailers, plus local marine service shops.

Once you have the manual, all you have to do is read and follow the steps. There's nothing complicated about changing the lower unit oil or pulling the lower unit and replacing the water pump.

But without a manual, you're working blind.

13. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Just had mine done. Cost was 56 bucks part included plus fresh lower unit oil. Cheap in my opinion.

14. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Chuck, that is cheap for around here. Who did it for you. Was it a shop or a friend?