Lower Unit Reseal Merc 200 20 HP

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Longjohn119, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've never done a reseal on a lower unit before but I've done about everything else including a new reed block late last June.

I was just wondering if I need any special tools or if there is anything I should know before I dive into this next month. Currently there are no leakage problems but I'm sure it could use a reseal since it's over 30 years old (But still runs like a top )

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If its not leaking I wouldn't fool with it. If you just want piece of mind the post the year and I'll see if I have a picture of that lower I can post.

3. Longjohn119

State:
    Iowa
    I have a blow up of it already from the generic manual I bought.

I want to reseal it because if it does go bad before I catch it the chances of finding another one to replace it is probably about nil. I just noticed that no one has a seal kit for it anymore Mercury must have stopped selling them recently but I can still get the seals, I just have to order them individually so I imagine some of those seals won't be around in another year or two which makes me feel that doing it now would be prudent if I want to keep this motor for a few more years. After I replaced a crack reed block (No easy job since it wrapped around the crankshaft) last year this thing starts and runs so well I really hate to spend money replacing it

The lower unit is about the only thing left I haven't torn apart and repaired or cleaned up ... Since I had most of it apart to replace the reed block I completely disassembled everything from the lower unit on up and degreased, sanded out the scratches and repainted it.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Well can't fault a man for that. Those engines were good one when maintained. The Manuel should give you a list of tools needed for the job.

If you can and want to you can do a step by step with pictures and add a tutorial on it in the library.

5. Longjohn119

State:
    Iowa
    I might just do that, about 5 or 6 years ago I got in the habit of taking photos when I disassemble something unfamiliar just as a reference for when I put it back together. I did that when I replaced the reed block mainly to make it easier to rehook and route the wiring harness.

6. beagle777

beagle777 New Member

State:
    Il
    Get the seals x2 and hang on to them till needed. Change lower unit lube, and check it for water every other time out and put new seals in at first signs of water. DON'T FIX IT IF IT ANT BROKE!!!!!!! LOL
    First time resealing a lower unit is a learning experience and a 50-50 deal to get it right the first time a least for me it was.

7. Longjohn119

State:
    Iowa
    I do a lot of preventative maintenance on commercial HVAC equipment so get the problem before it's a problem is where I'm coming from. I'd rather rebuild it in February and take my time then have it break in June or July and I'm pressed to get it done or lose more fishing time.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

The point may be moot, I'm probably going to get a good deal on a 2000 boat and motor and I'll trade the Merc in with the old boat and it'll be someone else's problem. It would be nice to get away from pull start and tiller steering and save my energy for fishing .... and get there a lot faster