Lower unit problem

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by PHLIPS4BIGKATS, Mar 23, 2008.

1. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    My friend went out today to start getting his boat ready and found his lower unit cracked over the winter:eek:oooh: . Water made its way in and made a lot of trouble for him. Does anyone know what kind of metal it made of? It's a 1982 90 h Evinrude. I am a welder by trade and could probably fix it but I have never mest with a lower unit off a boat before. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Most likely cast aluminum.

3. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Branden is correct, It should be cast aluminum. If it can be welded, just make sure you take it to someone who knows what they are doing. The number one rule in welding aluminum, is CLEAN. It'll take a lot of preparation to get all the oil and impurietes out of the metal for a good solid weld. I've never welded up a lower unit, but I have welded up two engine cases on ATV's with success. BTW I don't know if it's the same or not, but my buddy has a rebuilt lower unit off a 82 Evinrude 50horse that he'd probably sell cheap. He had the lower unit rebuilt two years ago, and last summer one of the pistons shattered, so he's trying to part it out.:wink:

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I have welded cast aluminum before and had no problems but I will let him know about that other lower unit and see what he says. Thanks for the help fellas.
    Chris

Gary you might let me know what he might want for it so if he is interested I can let you know.

5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Chris, after re-reading your post, I realized you were a welder. That's what I do to. It you've done it before, it should be ok. I"ll talk to my buddy tomorrow and see what he wants for it.:wink:

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I usually weld S.S (food industry) so my pole holders are S.S (1/2 inch drift master style) and a few other things.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I had one welded up years ago. I took it apart and then took the housing to him.
    And had him to weld it up.
    It was still holding the last time I seen it.
    But don't think I would try welding it with the gears and stuff in it. Also I think you would need to keep the heat down on it also.
    Pete

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The oil and the gears are going to have to be removed. Then you will need to weld it and put all new seals in it and then pressure test it.

9. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    All the oil is on the ground so don't have to worry about that. Hopefully (gmvk30) gives me some good news about the bottom end he told me about.