Lower Unit Problem

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Aquacat, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Robert, I have a 1961 Evinrude 40hp outboard. The only problem I'm having is getting the screws loose on the bottom of that 2 piece housing. Do you know what I'm talking about? I think their are about 9 total screws, 4 on each side and 1 in the front. I've used my screw driver but they feel like the are about to lose their grip. Someone before me torched them down hard. :cursing: I'm trying to get the bottom off so I can reseal the unit. Someone changed out some of the original screws and repaced them with a phillips head screw. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Get a hand impact tool. Heat them with a propane torch, in the thread area, then use the impact tool.

I use an acetylene torch to loosen corroded bolts in aluminum, but that's usually because of salt water. Acetylene will make aluminum disappear if heated too much, and it won't take long.

With a propane torch, heat then let it cool some, then heat again. Use the hand impact screw driver while the area is hot.

Think leather gloves for protection.

3. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    thanks bob for your help

4. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Bob, It worked perfectly! :) Thanks for your help! I my need your help again after I pull this thing a part. :D