Lower Unit Oil

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Dano, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Heres the deal. Been thinking bout selling boat for over a year for many reasons. Very good shape. Some have seen pics of it. BP has last year if he remembers. Past month as I had time I been clean r up, changing fuel lines, plugs, wires, the works. Motor/boat is in great shape. Going to take it out tomorrow to show. Been making sure all is in top shape.
    Anyway. I check lower unit gear oil just now. It had some milky look to it. Not bad. Decided to change it just to be safe. In past I always put what book called for which is, OMC Hi-Vis, gear case lube. Been a while since I done it. Only used boat very few times in past 2-3 years.
    I dont want to buy hi dollar oil from boat shop when I got 4 gals in shop of , "Oreilly 80w 90 gear oil , API service , GL-5, GL-4, GL-3", is on the bucket.

My question to all the boat guys,( BP ) would the Oreilly gear oil be a good gear oil to use in my lower unit . I dont think it would be a problem myself but I dont take guesses when it comes to something like that. Its a 1992 V4 120hp Johnson motor. Runs good too. LOL.
    Anyway, gear oil is gear oil, isn't it? Will if work or should I get the factory oil from boat shop?

I got a finish up tonight so I'll check back later.

Thanks for any reply
    Dano

PS. I've been having internet problems again. Barely on. Started a few days ago. Looks like modem going bad. One light storm and one cut phone line must of damage it. Long story. Very slow right now. I'll be back in a little while if it connects. LOL.

Thanks

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    along with that question, would synthetic oil be practical in a lower unit?

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Phil I use synthetic oil in all my lower units.

Dano just get you a marine grade oil in that weight. I get mine at walley worls. I use the castroil syn and it has served me well.

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I asked about lower unit oil a few months ago and this is what ya'll told me too. You can even get that little pump with it at Walmart and it sure is handy.

ST

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

thanks, Bubbakat!

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Money is tight. The above oil I mention is what I filled it with, ( Oreilly gear oil ) I do understand ya'lls advice. I just want to be sure , the Or's 80w90 want hurt it, in long run.
    Anyway it's filled with it and going for ride tomorrow.
    Gear oil is gear oil righ?.

Thanks for the replys

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Marine grade is formulated to absorb some water and still lubricate, in the event of a seal leak. You did say it had a slight milky apearance.

Your selling the boat, so give the new owner the option of changing the lower unit oil

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Thanks, B.P. For The Info, I Have Always Ued Synthetic Gear Oil In My Lower Unit & I Knew That 80-90W, Was The Same But I Was Unaware Of The Moisture Absorption Formulation Of The Marine Grade Oil, Thanks Much, Elliot

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks BP. I was also Unaware ( forgot ) Of The Moisture Absorption Formulation Of The Marine Grade Oil, but it does make sense. I did replace the O rings on the oil drain and fill plug.
    After a run on lake , I will re check it.
    After all the cleaning up, tuning up etc. I've done and I'm sure a good run on lake, I am going to hate to sale it. Bought it new and took good care of it. Had a lot of good times in that boat. I better stop typing before I talk myself out of it. LOL.

Thanks for all replies.

10. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    I've got a 94 Mariner 40hp that runs great and has no problems, that I know of other than the other day I deceided to check the lower gear oil and it was real milky. Like Dairy King, anyway I noticed there were no o rings on the plugs, should I add them, could this be the prob. How bad could it be to replace inner seals?? Any help, mucho aprecioso... Lucas

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    1st P milky is usually a sign that water is in the oil.No O rings is bad JuJu so yes replace them and that probably is your problem.Repalce O Rings re-fill with proper lube run it and check it.To all others the Syn gear oil available from different companies is the best in my opinion and you can get the little pump and be in business.Keep in mind and I see this often in these boating threads, that Marine Grade is that for a reason, which normally means its made to resist or work in the harsh marine environment.Sure other cheaper stuff will work but do you want to bet that expensive outboard on the fact that it will?Marine grade carries over into wiring,paints,radios etc.Always go with it for your boat if you can.:smile2:

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Your little round gaskets for the drain and vent plug may be just stuck up into the recess of the holes. be sure they're not in there before adding more gaskets. if you find them there, replace anyway

13. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Good advise bobpaul, I had that happen to my motor. You beat me to it.

14. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    Im gona check my rubbers tonight! I should be able to use o-rings from my sink plumbing kit, right? Just a snug fit. If this dosnt solve me problem would a lower end seal/s replacement be too much if attempted by a non-professional....? Thanks again.
    Lucas

15. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Just get to a merc dealer and buy the right parts, they cost about 1.00.

While your there, pick up a manual and go through the lower unit section to get an idea of what it takes to replace the seals. If you think you can do it, buy the manual. It'll help you understand better what information you could get from here.

16. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    in relation, how often do most of you guys change yours?
    I buy the general marine stuff from Wally World (lubrimatic?) and was told to change the plugs and lower unit oil each fall and usually do.

Is that too often?

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Chris I change my lower unit oil every fall and I use the walley world super tech.
    I change my plugs every other season at the same time I put in a new impeller.

18. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Hey, Lucas, DO NOT, Use Your O-Rings From Your Plumbing Kit, They Are NOT Compatible with Oil.

Just As Bobpaul Stated, The Correct Parts Are Inexpensive & Alot Cheaper Than A Burned Up Lower Unit. Please Heed This Advice, You Will Not Know You Are Having A Problem Until It's Too Late:sad2: Elliot