Lower unit lube

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by kickin_wing, Feb 14, 2007.

1. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am going to atemp to change my lower unit greese in my outbourd. Does anyone have any tips on doing this? Is there anything else i need to do to tune up my motor for spring? If so how do i do that.

2. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    also how much of a difference does one of those whale tail looking thing make (i think thry are called hydrofoils) they go on your motor right above the prop. They say they are supose to save on gas and give better top end speeds.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

You can get the refill pump and oil from wal-mart or any outboard supply shop. You want to fill it from the bottom screw and that way the air escapes out the top hole while filling. Always replace those little gaskets behind the fill and drain screws. Will either be plastic or rubber. You can get them at your marine repair shop. not expansive either.

If you don't know when the last time the impeller was changed or has been at least 2 years then do that. They are a lot cheaper then a blown power head from heat.

As for the whale tale they are good for getting the engine to get up on plane faster and makes steering one easier in my book of thoughts. As for faster speed. That I couldn't tell you as I have never took time to test the difference. I do know the faster you get up on plane the less work the engine does and that makes for less wear and fuel burn.

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm not to good with outboards so don't laugh but what is an impeller and is it expensive. My motor is a 2004 Yamaha 60.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The impeller is in the lower unit and it pumps the water up to the motor to keep it cooled.
    If you are going to do maintance on it you need to get the repair manuel for that year. The impeller might make it another summer. It depends on how much it has been ran and in what kind od water.

The impeller itself ain't that high but the whole pump can get kinda costly but either way it is cheaper then a power head.
    Yours is a 2 stroke ain't it?

6. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    yes its a 2 stroke, so all i need is an impeller not the whole pump?

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would guess at its age you could get by another summers use with just an impeller. When you get it apart just look the plate and the top cover over real good and see if it has any gouge marks in them.