Lower Unit Lube

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by calogan, Jul 1, 2009.

1. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a 85' Evinrude 70hp, and I'm looking for lower unit lube. The manual says that I need OMC lube High-Viscosity, but I'm having trouble finding it. I found some at Wal-Mart that says GL-5. Does anyone know if this will work? Thanks

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i just use regular old rear end lube in my lower unit i think it's called 85w-140 or straight 90w will work just fine. you need to change the lube annually and look for milky looking lube coming out of the lower unit when u change it. if it's milky looking then it's time for new seals because water is getting into your gearcase.

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    I've been using the GL-5 for yrs with no problem. manuel always prefers you to use the brand the manufacture uses, but not always neccesary.
    change it yearly as rule of thumb.
    gary

4. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the info. I thought that would be the case, but wanted to make sure.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    And, it is about 9 out of 10 times, when you do have milky fluid, the leak is from the washers beneath the two fill plugs. Go to an Auto Parts store and order yourself a half dozen, or if your rich, go to a marine store and get those washers.