Lower unit leaking

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bigredsbbq, Aug 23, 2006.

1. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    81 25hp johnson lower unit leaking
    I need to get a seal kit for the lower unit is this a hard job is it something i could do myself with a little bit of talking through or should I bite the bullet and pay to have it done If I do pay someone what should I expect to pay for the seal kit and how many hours if I pay labor should it take
    my model # is J25TECIM
    Thanks in advance
    Trevor

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Trevor clean all that oil off of it and tell me exactly where it is leaking from.

You can do a reseal job on that lower unit yourself if you can handle instructions and tools.

3. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    heres the pics of where its leaking after wiping off all the dirt and oil and changing the lower unit oil

Attached Files:

4. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Is that a long shaft motor on a short shaft boat?

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep trevor that looks like it is coming from where the pump sets or rather in that area. I will get you a blow up of that lower unit with some parts numbers and we will see if we can walk you thru this. Its not that hard to repair You can take your model number and go to a marine shop and get the seals that go in there. I would go ahead and install a complete water pump while I was at it to. Also get the two small gaskets for the drain and fill screws.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    This is a picture of the lower unit and it is large so it can be seen easy. I will have to e-mail you the parts list to identify the parts cause I ain't smart enough to load it in my album.:big_smile:
    Trevor go to the lower right hand corner of the image and it will show you an icon just click on it and it will enlarge it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/coofficer/198125lower.gif

7. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got the seal kit and impeller ordered today maybe I'll have it by Monday if not it will be here someday next week he said the fill and drain screw gaskets will be in with the seal kit
    I'm looking forward to meeting you and everyone else at the national gathering
    thank you
    Trevor

8. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a 76 mercury 20hp that was leaking around the prop shaft. I removed the prop shaft to find the oil seals look like they shrunk. The seal didn't even fit snug on the prop shaft. I ordered a new bearing carrier with seals and bearing assembly because i broke mine tyring to get seals out. Thing is the prop shaft had some pits in the shaft. I heated the shaft with a torch to remove all oil and dirt and put jb weld on the pits while it was hot so it would melt the jb weld in there good and then sanded it all down after it setup. Hope to get it to stop leaking with the new prop shaft seals.

A new prop shaft was 271.99 so i figured i better try the jb weld first

9. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got the parts in today met a guy who is a marine mechanic who told me he would do it for $50 my buddy who is also a marine mechanic said it would cost 4 hours x $40 hour = $160 I'm gonna try the $50 guy he also said I could be there when he does it. He would show me how to do it so I could do it myself next time
    Its nice being a bartender I get to meet lots of people

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yes by all means watch him and learn and that will be 50 well spent.

While he is at it ask him to take the prop off and grease the shaft

11. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    will do
    he seemed kinda surprised when I asked him he said that he would be more than willing to show me how to do it and sounded glad to do it

12. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    boats done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!time to go fishing and go scout the island on sangchris for a good tree for a stand
    I'm going after flatheads tonight