lower unit gone

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by willcat, Nov 12, 2007.

1. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    well i managed to hit a pretty large rock that i couldnt see of course w/my toon sat night & took out the lower unit on my 70 force. the prop didnt even break, it took the the shaft right out w/the prop & everything!!!what to do now????i can get a jihnson 1oo hp for about 300$, that's what i'm thinking of doing now either that or i know a guy that has a 55hp johnson that's running on his boat now & is willing to sell it for 295$--will that be big enuff for a 21ft toon???????

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The 55hp will probably move you pontoon at about 12-15mph. I had one that size on my 20', and wished it were larger. Remember, Running the 100hp at 1/2-2/3 throttle probably won't use much more gas than running the 55hp flat out; and not running the motor at full speed will extend its life. Another advantage of the 100hp is that you have the extra power if you should need or want it in some particular situation.

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    check the local boat repair shops, sometimes they have extra parts in the back on the "junk pile" i found the new tilt and trim for my Merc. this way. Only had to pay $20 for it and it was over $200 for it new. Sometimes u can get lucky and not have to shell out a lot of money for replacement parts.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Will, I feel your pain man. I did the same thing sat but all I did was take the prop shaft and the prop out. I have an extra one but sure didn't want to do what I did though. I am with jerry on this if the 100 has good compression and hasn't set around for the last few years then go that way.
    If it has set for awhile then you are going to have to replace the carb kits and pump.
    You might find a lower unit for that force on e-bay or by searching the locAL shops.

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    that's exactly what happened, it took the prop shaft & prop right out!!! of course i couldnt retrieve it so i need a new one!! thanks

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    o yeah, i found a thread where boppaul repowered a boat for gator & ended up w/ a 70 hp force & pm'ed him maybe i'll get lucky!!! We'll see.

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i actually found 2 100hp evinrudes, one has been sitting for 14yrs(i know that's a long time)that one is 400$ & the other is running, but the guy says it's a 71 model, and one plug has no fire and the pushbutton control box is stuck in forward(i don't know what that means)he wants 300$ or swap out for a smaller engine between 40 to 60hp. The one that's been parked says it looks really clean & was parked while running & it's here in town, the other is about an hour 1/2 away.also found a 76 glastron with no papers on anything for 300$ that has a 85hp johnson running but sat for a year, i'djust have to unload the trailer & boat somewhere???what to do????

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Leave the 71 model alone . Those were hydro electric shift and parts are hard to come by and the no fire on one plug could be a coil or a box which is very expinseve.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    [Bthe other is about an hour 1/2 away.also found a 76 glastron with no papers on anything for 300$ that has a 85hp johnson running but sat for a year, i'djust have to unload the trailer & boat somewhere???what to][/B]
    I would go and do a compression check on that one. Those 75through 77 85 h/ps were good motors. That is what I run now. Parts are avaliable and I can put you intouch with a site that has parts reasonable or just ask me and I'll get the numbers you need and can order them from a local NAPA store. Get the model number and i'll confirm the year made.
    Just about any thing off a 1974 through 77 in the 85,90,115,135,140 will interchange on those motors but anything past 1977 won't work on them.

10. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    hey thanks alot willard, i'll try & get that serial # for u so i can figure what to do, maybe he'll sell the motor seperate maybe not, o well i'll just have to get rid of the rest!!!Thanks alot, willcat.

11. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    well the good thing is i have several different options out of this force motor, like evinrude & johnson fairly cheap providing i get a good one!!!will post back when i get one thanks for all the help guys.....

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    When you change the brand of motor, you need to also change the control box and cables.

I'll be checking out the lower unit in a few days, maybe sooner. I'll PM you the results. As far as I know, it was in good shape when I repowered that boat.

13. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I agree with jerry, a having more power can and would help your toon.

14. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    Will, sorry to hear that man. Keep your head up and if I can help let me know. I'll keep my eye out.

15. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    Also , I'm headed up north to do some huntin and then a tourney when I get back, but in the meantime if your needing a fix for some kitties...give me a call, always needing someone to chase em' with

16. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    You guys make me glad we dont have a lot of rocks here. Only rocks i ever hafta worry about is when i get too close to the riprap. All we got here is Mud and Sand bars to wrry about. Usually dont hurt nothing with them.

17. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    hey thanks alot cliff, i'll let u know if we can get together soon, hopefully the one bobpaul has will work. If not, james has a buddy that has a 50hp about same year we don't know if it will work or not but worth a shot!! I would really like to get back on the water asap, if not the honeydo's will start coming lol:smile2:also, a friend of mine blew the powerhead on his force & traded it in @ benny's on roosevelt so he's checking on it also, hope i find one soon, if not i'll repower it w/ a johnson or rude. wish me luck!!!!i need it!!!

18. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Looks like Bobpaul might have what i need, have to wait & see what happens!!! The only thing is i am very impatient, i guess i can work on the boat in the meantime!!The only thing i can think of is fishing saturday again, looks like i'll be on the bank for now,oh well!!!DAMN ROCK!!!!

19. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Will, the wait is over. I pulled the lower unit off and drained it. Nothing but water came out. It's going in the junk pile.

If you find one, be sure to have it pressure and vacume tested, BEFORE YOU BUY IT, to be sure the seals are good. Just because it has oil in it, doesn't mean the seals are still good. I'd trust one that had old oil in it, before one with fresh oil. That goes for the lower unit on any engine your considering buying, along with an ignition and compression check.

BYW, a 70 hp on a 21' pontoon is more than enough power for that boat, A 100 hp will only help to bust up the boat, with added hp, more transom weight, and not much, if any, more speed.

I might get an argument on this from some that don't know any better, but then, there's people out there that actually think a pontoon boat will plane.

20. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    well i thank u for ur time sir, i think i will try & get the 1979 70hp johnson i found for 700$ w/ all the controls, prop, & tilt/trim. If not i'll buy the '76 glastron w the 85hp johnson for 300$ and junk the boat & trailer. Just wanted to try to put her back together the way she was but o well!!!!What do u think of a 55 hp johnson on the toon? Will it be enuff? I normally don't run fast anyway!! Thanks for all the input!!!