Lower (tidewater) Santee River flathead catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by JAinSC, Apr 25, 2006.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Anybody fish the lower Santee/North Santee down in tidewater specifically for flatheads? Or, for that matter, for brim?

I fish the area occasionally, mostly for blues, and catch a flathead now and then on cut bait. I'm thinking about going and trying to catch a batch of sunfish and/or white perch and really targeting the flatheads with livebait after dark.

2. SFISHER

SFISHER Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Steve
    JA, I use to put in at the pole yard and fish for bream and blues, but never flat heads. Never even caught one there by accident. So how is the flathead fishing in the lower Santee? Since you fish tidal waters like I do, have you found one tide any better than the other?

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Went to Harris Landing last Sunday (a few miles up river from Poleyard and a bit below Wadmacaon Creek). The area looks to me like it ought to be FULL of flatheads, and it probably is, but they are safe there. My biggest problem was finding someplace where I could fish. Every place that looked good to me, I would go and idle around and check it out with the depth finder and the river is FULL of submerged trees! I would try to move out away from the bank a bit, and there'd be another tree! I didn't think any of my rigs would come back, much less that I would be able to land a decent flathead. Of course there is open water on the sand bars and such, but I just don't feel confident fishing for flatheads in a shallow, open sandy area when there's so much good cover. I'd like to be able to fish clear water, but NEAR cover - not in it.

I did find one small channel edge along a bank without snags. I fished there for about an hour and got one flathead of about 13 pounds and one small blue that snagged himself in the top of the head while harassing my live bluegill.

I guess the secret would be to go early and do a LOT more looking and prospecting with the depth finder to pick out several good looking FISHABLE spots before it gets dark.

4. marshmellow man

marshmellow man New Member

State:
    sc
    havent been since last summer but we caught onw about 45 on a rod and a bunch of blues 2 to about 15 pounds on cut bait and to big ones on a trot line on deer meat i to talk to some fellows that fish their alot using big bream and catch some big fish but one thing i have learned down their is when the tide is going out fish the deep holes and when the the tide is coming in fish the flats had one flat head on a trot line that was so big that it woulnd fit in a big dip neat and the hook pulled out before we could get him in that is the biggest catfish i have ever seen bar none

5. hank_lineage

hank_lineage New Member

JA,
    only about a year behind in my reply, but better late than never, i guess.
    i tried to pm you, but i needed "10 replies" and i only had 9...this should push me over the min. limit, but if i still can't pm, i'll come back and post.

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I am very interested in that myself I have been hearing of people tearing the cats up there.

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I made a couple more trips to the area after those initial posts.

First thing is that I got a lot better at catching the baits. In the Edisto I fish for sunfish with a little bettle spin type spinner, but I had very little luck with them in the Santee. A trip down to the Altamaha to fish with Cuda-Cada reminded me that when the water's a little murky, they don't go for the spinners much, so I went back to basics and fished with worms under a tiny slip float and did pretty well. I even broke off a few bigger fish that I couldn't handle on my ultralight: bass? cats? bowfin? Who knows. Probably some of each.

I did pretty good on the flatheads (like 4 or 5 fish per outing up to 20 pounds or a bit better), but I still have to prospect a bit more and find the better pools and the spots to fish on those pools. I know there are much bigger fish there. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody that knew what they were doing and worked at it could pull a new state record out of there. Well, the season is pretty much here again. Time to go fishing! I'll let everybody know how things work out this year.

8. grantpwll

grantpwll New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Try fishing for bream with crickets they do better in Lower Santee on the falling tide. Ive caught many flatheads in there, and if you go at night you can take a cast net and catch mullet to fish with, mostly blues will bite mullet the bream are best best for flatheads on falling tide. The little river that goes around the Wadmacaw island is a good place to try but be carefull on low tide lots of sandbars, tree stumps and two old bridges but there is alot of water to fish.

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thnaks for the tips.

I know what you mean about the sandbars. Around low tide that whole area can be pretty tricky. That's part of what is so "fishy" about it though. The sandbars and the deep holes (someplaces there are bars real close to 30 feet of water) and lots in between.

Where's the two old bridges that you mentioned?

10. grantpwll

grantpwll New Member

State:
    south carolina
    There are two old bridges one a old train trussel and one old bridge. One is between the bluff landing in lambertown and the sand hole landing and one is right before you get to the sand hole landing. You should be able to see both of them except on high water. Both are atleast 3 or 4 miles off the main Santee River. If you look on Google earth you can follow the River all the way around the island and see the two landing that im talking about.

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    John, Grant is talking about Wadmacon Creek. It connects with the main river through "the cutoff" above Echaw Creek on the upper end, and comes back into the river about 5-6 miles above the 17 bridge. Welcome to the BOC, Grant!

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've never gone way up Wadmacan like that. Is it worth it? Any good cats up there? Blues or flatheads?

I generally just fish between Harris's Landing and Wadmacon or a couple of miles up the main river.

13. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thinking about heading to the pole yard on thursday if anyone has any recent reports on the cats. I have never been to this area but for duck hunting. I would like to catch some good flatheads though. Nothing else mabe I will have a good report.

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    John, I've never fished very far up Wadmacon myself, so can't say for sure. There are lots of trotlines all over that end of the river, anyway.

James, I haven't heard any reports lately. I've gotta go that way either today or Friday, depending on weather. Good luck to you....

15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Water temps today were near 60 F. Cloudy and rained on me the whole time. Good luck if you go tomorrow, Rivercatsc. Hope to get a good report from you.