Lower St. Francis 5/30/06

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Arkie55, May 31, 2006.

1. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Took a trip down to the lower St. Francis river yesterday, 5/30/06 and fished with my good friend and fishing partner Bob Zielenski. We launch below Huxtable pumping station around 6:15 am. We left the river at 5:15 pm. Total catch was 28 head of fish. Most of the 28 were Blues. We did catch a smattering of Channel as well. Nothing big to report. Largest of the day was about 12lbs. We didn't weigh any of them and didn't take any pics for some reason. We had a good day and enjoyed the fishing. The river is falling and in pretty good shape. All fish were caught on cut skipjack. Bob did hook into one large fish on a head and fought the fish for about two minutes. Then the line just went slack. He was using a smallish circle hook (5/0) I think and the head was a large one. We figured the fish just didn't get hooked good and may not have been hooked at all. He was kicking himself for not using a larger hook. The sad thing is he had larger circle hooks in his box and his other rod was rigged with the larger hook (8/0). Most of our fish probably averaged around 4lbs yesterday. We only had two or three fish in the 1 to 1 1/2 pound range. When we finished with the fillet knife, we had three gallon zip-lock bags full of fillets. We had a blast and the fishing was good.

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Boy Terry, That sounded like a lot of fun thanks for the report.

ST

3. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Terry, Ya'll go up or down river? Just curious My thinking is that the fishing would be better down towards the mouth of sippi. Sounds like you had a fine day fishin. 28 is a far cry from the zip we got last time LOL. Mac

4. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Mac we went down. We didn't make all the way to the other ramp. We fished the holes and humps along the outside bends. Fish bite was a little slow. We normally sit a hole for 15 minutes and if we don't have a fish we move. Tuesday, we didn't get bit on most holes until we had the bait in the water about 15 minutes. So, what did we do? We adjusted our sitting time to 25 minutes per hole. Seemed like we would get one to three fish per hole or hump and then have to move. We did have a blast though and it was a great day to be on the river. The top of by bald head is a little red and sore but it was worth it. Yes, I had a cap on but it was a summer cap and you know what that means.:embarassed:

5. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Yea, adjusting your time seem to be the ticket. When I fish with Coach, he fishes 30 min. by watch, then we move if nothing. I like the summer cap even though some light get thru it lets alot of air to keep the dome cool. LMAO... Mac

6. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Hey Mac,
    I got an email from my fishing partner yesterday. He took his boss fishing this past Friday. They set a few lines and then rod and reel fished. He said they didn't have as good a day number wise as he and I did on Tuesday but they filled the cooler none the less. Largest was 20lbs and had another one go 16lbs. Sounds like the fish have turned on in the St. Francis.

Yeah, I understand about the Chrome Dome thing for sure.