Lower Santee River ...

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by blackwaterkatz, Nov 11, 2008.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    After hanging around too long to make it to the lakes today, I decided to try the lower Santee River, since I haven't been there in a little while. Launched at Jamestown and traveled as far as I could upriver until I ran out of water. We sure could use some more flow. I couldn't get to the deep hole that I had planned for, at least not without doing damage to my lower unit, so I started fishing the deeper bends in the river as I worked back downstream.
    Water temps were just below 60 deg. and the water was extremely clear. Using fresh mullet and nightcrawlers, I could only manage 2 Blue Catfish into the boat in 3 hours of fishing, and I doubt if either of those weighed more than 7-8 lb.s Slow day, but still enjoyed the trip. Weather was great, and I saw one deer, 2 wild hogs, and a good number of wood ducks. Not a wasted day. I idled my way back to the landing, just taking in the scenery. Only saw one other boat upriver.

2. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Tommy, Glad you got to fish today. Nature holds many rewards for those willing to take it in!:wink: Thanks for the report.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    GOOD report, Tommy. And yes, there is more to it than fishin'.

BB in SC

4. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Hey Tommy,
    I've never fished the South Santee river. Next time you plan on going, if you got room, I'd love to join.
    Thanks,
    Jonathan
    bearfrog1@yahoo.com

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on getting out on the water

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'll keep you in mind, Jonathon. I grew up fishing that river, but I don't get on it as often these days as I used to. Sometimes when I go fishing, the destination is almost a last minute decision, but I'll shout at you if I know I'm going.