Lower Santee - August 2nd

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by JAinSC, Aug 7, 2008.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I went to the lower Santee last Saturday to do some flatheading. Problem is that by almost sunset, I only had one small bluegill in my livewell. I just could not catch bait! I don't know if it's the heat or the strong currents (it was a real strong tide that day), but the sunfish were not biting. There were a bunch of mullet jumping around on one of the sandbars, though, so I cast net a few to at least give the cats a try. I put a few mullet in the cooler and a few in the livewell. I have never caught a flathead on a live mullet, but what the heck? Why not?

At dusk I set up on some pretty deep cover with a couple of live mullet out
    (about 8 to 10 inch baits) plus cut bait on one rod. Before long the cut bait rod began to dip rythmically, like a flathead bite, but somehow I did not hook up, so I put the rod right back in the holder. A few minutes later the rod doubled over. That turned out to be a decent blue - about 19 pounds - released after a quick photo.

I got no more bites there or in a couple of other spots. When it looked like a nasty storm was coming in (stars went out and the wind started to howl), I packed up and headed in. OH well. Maybe next time.

Water temp was 89 degrees plus.

Attached Files:

2. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    that is a nice fish!! hope you have better luck next time with the bait!
    i wish i had the luck that you have when you fish!

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the blue looks like a real nice fish

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Nice blue. Thanks for the report!
    Bill in SC

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    John I didnt know you knew how to catch blues.LOL Sorry about the slow bite maybe next time.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    :crazy: Yeah, I catch blues now and then. I even fish for them on purpose sometimes. But once you go flat, it's hard to go back!!! :wink:

7. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    John- several years ago I set up camp about 3 miles up river from Pole Yard Landing while doing a large job in the area. I fished almost daily for over a year straight and never once had a real good day on the bream. The little success I did have came on minnows under corks fished really tight to the bank. Maybe this will help.

Danny