Lower Salt River

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by Brokenlines, May 17, 2007.

1. Brokenlines

Brokenlines New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Anyone have any pointers where to catch some river cats in the lower Salt below Saquaro lake? I've heard the Blue Point Bridge is good at night. Gills and crawlers good to use?

2. az cat hunter

az cat hunter New Member

State:
    AZ
    A good spot is at the granite reef dam.Its the lowest end of the river,below the verde conflunce.Ive seen some good flats out of there too!I have caught some good channels as well.Try some small gills or shad if you can catch some!!Good luck.

3. Brokenlines

Brokenlines New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Anybody in the valley fish the lower Salt below Saguaro Lake?

4. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I have never heard of anyone fishing this or what it may produce. I too am very interested in what this could hold so close to home. May be we should just take some time out to see what the BOC can pull out of this water way. How far down is this damn?

5. Brokenlines

Brokenlines New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Not sure what you're asking in regards to the dam. I remember talking to a couple of guys a couple of years ago who said there are some good "mudshark" holes on the lower Salt below Saquaro lake. Of course they didn't specify where. I've heard some people talk that the area around Blue Point bridge is supposed to be pretty good. Due to the tubers on the weekends, I'm thinking about trying the bridge out on a weeknight here real soon. Gotta get out of the house for awhile.

6. Kevin N

Kevin N Member

State:
    Georga
    Name:
    Kevin
    the dam is off power road right as you turn from Power rd to go up river there is a left turn right there I have fished there several time It is good spot make sure you get a tonto pass before you head out there for parking I have got good cats there as well as a 18 lb carp also have caught two snaping turtle there fish and game said is you land a snaping turtle you must by law kill it they and not soposto be in the rivere here but they are there good luck if you try the reef

7. az cat hunter

az cat hunter New Member

State:
    AZ
    Just downstream of blue point bridge about 1/4 mile there is a DEEP hole which has givin up some flats up to 16lbs for my buddy and I.Or,If you go to where the tubers start,then walk up stream about a mile or less,there are some other good holes.We never got anything bigger than that 16lbr in all the 30+ years of fishing there,but there is some nice channels in there.Also like I said before,granite reef dam area is also good.:big_smile:

8. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    great post and spot locations. Would love to get out and fish a little river like that with some success!!

9. Brokenlines

Brokenlines New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks guys. I know of the areas you are talking about. Thinking about giving it shot over the next day or two. Want to try out my new UL setup for some trout and bass maybe too.

10. az cat hunter

az cat hunter New Member

State:
    AZ
    Like i always say,the best fishing is in places that are rarely fished!!! That place behind the dam is one of those places,but its a long walk!Ive got a few 3lb bass back there too.I need to re-fish this place as its been a few years!!I used to work at sagauro lake and would fish there almost everyday.Back then the access was very easy.Anyway,good luck,and give us a report!!!