Lower Pee Dee/ Waccamaw

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by rivercatsc, Jan 10, 2009.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Got a late start yesterday but was on the water and had bait(Mullet) caught by 10am. Decided to try up the Pee Dee River 1st and marked some good fish and put 1st rod out with live eel and it was down before my buddy Chad could get the 2nd rod baited. Got him and 3 other fish in the boat in the 1st 20 minutes all blues 19lbs, 22lbs, 23lbs. Next stop was a hump I had marked some fish on up the waccamaw river and it produced early with 4 blues 17.5lbs, 21.5lbs, 24lbs, and 25.5lbs. All fish were caught on the outgoing tide on live eel and cut mullet. Water temps were 52deg. We fished until around 2pm when the tide turned so did the wind and it really started howling so we called it a day. Stopped by Independent seafood and bought 5lbs of large shrimp to go with the 2 cats we kept for dinner.

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Can't complain with 5 fish over 20lbs! Thats some good fishing there. I just can't believe you guys are catching fish on mullet, I've used it before and several other guys I know have as well and none of us have ever even got a bite on the stuff:confused2: I dunno, maybe they just don't like it up this way??

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Wes, fresh mullet can be a good bait on any given day, but right now the shad and herring haven't really shown up in numbers, so the fish feed on what's available to them. As soon as those baitfish start moving in, pretty soon now, then shad/herring will be their preferred meals.

4. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thats some nice cats congrats

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Thats an awesome day right there!:wink: Great catch and thanks for the report.

6. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Sounds like a good day. Thanks for sharing the story. Now if you want to share them shrimps........:wink:

7. bcgamecock

bcgamecock New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Way to go James! Sorry I wasn't able to join you guys and I hope you got my message about not being able to go. Luckily I've decided to quit that part-time computer job and am going back to being full-time retired and just doing my part-time hunting guiding and freelance writing. So let me know when you can go again and I'll be glad to finally get up with you and go. Sorry again that I had to brush you off at the last minute but that will be the last time I miss out, at least for that same reason!

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Wes I dont prefer mullet myself I wish I could get some fresh gizzard shad but when those herring start running I know what I will be using.:wink:

Brian its no big deal we will get together and go back after them soon.

BTW shrimp arent bait they are for human cunsumption:big_smile: I would never feed something that tastes that good to a catfish.:smile2:

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < I would never feed something that tastes that good to a catfish.:smile2:>

That's what Marvin said about the mullet!! :crazy::eek:oooh::wink::big_smile:

Bill in SC

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bill thats just nasty.:smile2:

11. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    NICE CATCH THERE JAMES! HOPEFULLY I WILL SEE YOU ON THE WATER REAL SOON!

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Looking foward to seeing you soon Marty.

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Man guys those Mullet are pretty tasty if done right. If you've never had them split down the back with the scales still on scales down on the grill with Carolina Treat BBQ sauce you ain't lived:smile2:

And about the shrimp thing, we have been known to use $10/lb shrimp to try and catch eels to use for catfish bait LOL, however, I get my shrimp at a slightly better price since I manage 2 fish markets!!

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Man guys those Mullet are pretty tasty if done right. If you've never had them split down the back with the scales still on scales down on the grill with Carolina Treat BBQ sauce you ain't lived:smile2:>

That is EXACTLY how Marvin prepares his mullet! I'LL PASS! :wink::wink::wink:

BB in SC

15. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Me too, although I've eaten some smoked before that was really good, and some fried "September" mullet filet that wasn't bad, but those were ocean fish, not the mud feeders from Sampit. That said, I am willing to try almost anything at least once...

16. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Very nice trip there bro. You uping the intimidation factor?:wink:

I'll pass on that there mullet, but shrimp will be fine for me!
    Don't let patmansc know you got scrimps........he'll be sittin on your back steps waiting for some! :smile2: