Lower Otay Trolling

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jumpinjak007, Jan 1, 2010.

1. jumpinjak007

jumpinjak007 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just got a 12 ft Sevylor fish hunter, and I wanna go over to Lower Otay Resi to try it out. Im looking for some "expert" advice on where to go, general trolling info, where to buy fresh shad/tackle, and anything else that you think would help. Thanks.

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    First, Mike, let me say Welcome to the BOC.
    Then, I would say read the next thread down about Otay and you might ask those that fish it regularly what their opinions are.

3. jumpinjak007

jumpinjak007 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well, I looked through the entire thread you suggested... and I found a couple of interesting pieces of info, but nothing to the sound of what I was asking... thanks anyway.

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    You looking to troll for catfish? Crappie?

As far as buying fresh shad down this way it is quite different then your part of the country. Shad is not readily sold at stores here nor do they allow cast nets. The bait of chioice in this area is mackerel which can be bought at local tackle shops. Sardines is also a decent bait to use. Mackerel will do you the best bet for catfish. Otay has blue cats, channels, crappie, bluegill, largemouth bass and when they do stock them - trout. This time of year blue cats and channels are your best bet as they are in winter mode. Bluegills can be caught year round. Crappie tend to show up starting around mid February.

I know of a few zones that they can be caught at if they are biting. The lake can be hit or miss during this time of the year as far as catching them. Trolling is not a common methods of fishing there unless you are trolling for crappie. Some people drift for them and some people sometimes drift for catfish there. Harvey Arm is the best area there for doing such methods from the mout of it all the way to before the back where the snaggs tend to show up in shallower water.

Otay is open on a Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday only schedule from sunrise to sunset. Mainly 6am to 5pm this time of year.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  5. jumpinjak007

jumpinjak007 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thanks blue hunter.

That helps me out alot... I posted a reply on your other thread... just disregard that.
    Well, me and the fam are going to IB pier tomorrow to try to get into some baitfish, and then after that we gonna hit up Otay. It sounds like a plan, but we will see. anyway thanks for the advice. Maybe Ill see you out there some time. Im still waiting on my life jackets and motor mount to come in the mail before I can use my new boat, but Im looking forward to it.

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    For sure call me at 310-256-0332 and i can give you a few notes on where you may be able to get some cats I know about 4 holes they may be at. Or call tomorrow I am on break till Jan 11 so I will not be at work. Also I know of wide open gill spots too all you need is mealworms and you are on them.

If you can get fresh bait from the pier - nothing beats that for sure.

B

7. mako cat

mako cat New Member

State:
    San Diego
    Are there any shore fishing spots that you might recommend for winter blues or channels?

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Welcome to the BOC Mike.....

One thing you may have to check out.... I think that your boat is a "blow-up" and here in CA. Most lakes will allow a float tube?... but I'm not sure on your Sevylor boat..:eek:oooh:.I could be wrong thought.... I hope so:wink:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  9. jumpinjak007

jumpinjak007 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It is actually considered an inflatable boat... because it will be powered by the trolling motor, I have to get it registered with the dmv:sad2:, but that is ok I guess. I just hope it doesnt take to long to have all that done.:roll_eyes:

10. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    I used to have a Sevylor Super Caravelle. Beware of windy conditions! Inflating it was a pita. Finally used a gas leafblower for volume and a couple air tanks for pressure. Filled the tanks to 100psi at a truckstop or tire shop. I could get her aired up in 10 min.

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Can be hit or miss. Most shore fisherman hits Harvey Arm area. Shore fisherman is not the best this time of year I would do that during the summer time and spring more so when the fish venture into the shallow bank areas more.

12. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a25:
    To The B.O.C. Mike.
    :0a17: