Lower Norman night access ramp?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BigBird, Jun 21, 2008.

1. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Need a little help
    Gonna try Norman tonight. It looks as if all the county access areas are closed at dark. Anybody have any good info on night time ramps that are open off of hwy 73. Can you also suggest a good bait and tackle close by?
    Thanks.
    Lindsay

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Lindsay......I'm not too familiar with the area of Lake Norman you are talking about, but the only landing I can think of off 73 is Blythe. Pretty sure you're right, they're closed at night. However, there are many access areas around Norman owned by Duke Power, and I b'lieve all those are open during nighttime hours. Here's a link to a list of public access areas/info/directions, and marinas with phone listings. Hope this helps you out bro.

www.lakenormansweb.com/lake_norman/access_areas/index.php

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    The ramps at the county parks do close at night. But if your truck in already in at the ramp you can get out of the park. The gates will allow you to leave any time. You can't enter the park after dark.

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    The closest one to Hwy. 73 that is open at night is Beatty Ford landing. Take Hwy. 73 West to Hwy 16 North (turn right at the stop light), the next stop light on Hwy. 16 North, take a right onto Unity Church Rd. go almost to the end of the road and take a right into the public boat landing. It is a lighted parking area. Mac

5. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    mac- found the landing easy and even found the bait store before I turned on Unity. Nice landing and it was the law enforcement enforcement command center and point of operation. No chance something would have happened to my vehicle with two RVS and about 5 wildlife vessels.
    I found a nice slough and my son and I caught about ten bait bream. Like a dummy I forgot my Q-beam and was limited on how far we could fish from landing after dark. We got set up about dark and got a couple of short bites while watching the lightning far off. Well when the lightning got within a few miles in the next hour-we had to make a mad dash for the landing. Could have waited it out but decided to hang it up for the night, since I forgot the q-beam. I hated it though because I think the fish would have done ok.
    I think next time we will move up the lake some. Did ok for the first time at LN. It will be a learning process but hopefully not a long one.
    thanks to all for the info.
    Lindsay