Lower LOZ Report

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by hunter_x, Jun 1, 2006.

1. hunter_x

hunter_x New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Looking to be down at my brothers place at the 3mm all of next week.
    Hope somebody has been hitting the first 5-6 miles, may even head up the gravois a bit (my old stomping grounds), In those days we used to bass fish mostly and fished for the Cats from Docks at night.

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    We were on the 5MM over Memorial Day Weekend and did real good off the dock. We are on the Lick Branch Cove and way in the back of a "no wake" cove and caught enough fish for a meal real fast. Biggest problem we had was that we couldn't find shad, looked every where and only found one school on the fish finder and lost them and couldn't relocate them. Bluegills were spawning, running circles around their nests and a couple bass moved in on Sunday and started making their nests and running the bluegills off. The channel cats we caught were full of eggs so we released all of the 3lb and larger and kept only enough for one meal. Caught most of them on liver and to be honest only tried worms once with no results. One thing we did try and I'll tell you it works is one of those green underwater lights. We bought an el-cheapo from Cabela's ($30.00) and it brought fish in big time. Never saw a catfish but we did catch some crappie around the light and tossed them back. A couple were in the 13" range and two were scissor length. After a couple hours after dark there had to be 50 fish swimming around that light and you could pick out the crappie by their distinctive fin pattern. Was fun just to watch the fish around the light doing their thing.

3. hunter_x

hunter_x New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Beeheck, we used to live at the old Northpoint Marina, my family owned it and the Blue Gil for several years before we sold off and is now just houses. How long you been up in Lick Branch? -Rob

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    It will be 3 years now in October. We are next to an old resort that they converted into one large house or I guess you can close doors and have private little apartments if you want. The old resort has a 4 well dock out front and the house sits right on the sea wall so the water is only a foot away or so. I guess we bought the house the owners of the resort lived in. I have heard our finger referred to as "Davey Jones Locker" but who knows what it is really.

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I was sitting here thinking about last weeks fishing and thought I best add one more time that the hardest thing for us was to find shad. I need to figure out how to build a shad trap but I think all they eat is plankton. I did catch one on a worm once but that was luck I think. Should of gone to Cindy Lou's and bought some shad sides just to be able to use them and see if that helped. We will be down at the lake from June 26 - July 4th so I'll hit it hard then, I hope.

6. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Bill glad to hear you made it down and caught some cats..:cool2: The last 2 weeks I have been able to find shad along the banks hanging around any trees laying in the water. Now they seem to be moving out...I would imagine when you get back in July you won't have any trouble finding them...they should be grouped up and flopping on the top...get your cast net ready buddy!:wink:

7. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Thanks for the info, I wondered where they were hanging out at but just couldn't connect with them. We will be down and maybe, just maybe this will be a fishing week and not a working week like the last one.