Lower James-Williamsburg?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by flathead willie, Aug 25, 2007.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm headed to Williamsburg for a week in late Sept. I would appreciate any advice on where to launch, fish, get bait, etc. I've never fished that area. I'd like to get into some good cats and maybe some salt water species also.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I used to launch out of Jamestown and near Fort Eustis. Loved fishing that river. LOL

3. cattin tonight

cattin tonight New Member

State:
    Virginia
    sorry cant help but good luck

4. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Don't know about size of fish in that area, but you can usually catch plenty of good sized eaters around the rip rap at Jamestown. If you go down river, there is a ramp at the James River bridge. Be careful going in and out of that one though. Don't try to go outside of the channel markers (big mistake).

5. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Hey Flathead Willie,
    When we go down to Williamsburg we usually put in at the Rt.5 bridge at the Chickihominey(sp) river.Then you can fish the Chick or the James.
    Its about a 30 minute drive from Williamsburg going north.
    How will you be going to Williamsburg??
    We go from the Lynchburg area 460 to 307 to 360 to 288 to 95 to rt.10 (thats were hopewell is) then to rt 5 to williamsburg.
    Let me know......mikeb

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks Mike. We usually take I 81 to I 64 and go in that way. When we go to Va. Beach from Roanoke, we take Rt. 460 all the way. If I'm leaving from the house in Big Island, I take Rt. 29 to I 64.

7. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Jacob,

Just curious, why is the issue with going outside of the channel? Thanks.

Maybe we should start a thread listing hazardous areas to avoid while boating.

Here is one I learned about the hard way.... On the Occoquan River, which borders Prince William and Fairfax County, stay inside the channel right before and after the no wake zone ends, otherwise you will end up in a huge area of weeds.

8. F1shermun

F1shermun New Member

State:
    Ft. Gibson, OK
    You can launch your boat at the Chickahominy riverfront park for a fee, or you can drive another 15-20 minutes and launch at the wildlife management area for free. it is off of wilcox road. you will have to follow the signs. It has a lot less traffic and there is a good dock there that you may be able to get some shad or perch for cut bait. Good luck!

9. F1shermun

F1shermun New Member

State:
    Ft. Gibson, OK
    any time you fish the backwaters you should consider buying a map... The chickahominy has a lot of shallow spots. Most are sandbars but take into consideration the price of repairing your hull.

10. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Rebcatman

It is deceptive leaving from the ramp at the James River Bridge in Newport News. The channel going to the main channel of the river is not a straight shot. There is a nice rip rap wall (I guess to protect the ramp from the tides) which ends a little way from the channel marker. After the marker, it is a right turn (beside the bridge) straight to the main channel. Between the wall and the channel marker is a nice, very shallow sand bar! I've tried! OOPS!!!