Lower James around ghost fleet?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by alwayslearning, May 24, 2007.

1. alwayslearning

alwayslearning New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Anyone do any fishing in the area around the ghost fleet? I live in Virginia Beach and it is a pretty good drive to the Richmond area. I thought I might try it this weekend and was just wondering if anyone has fished that area before. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

2. egomaniac247

egomaniac247 New Member

State:
    VA
    Never heard of too many people catching the "big" catfish down in that area, except around the water discharge for the nuclear plant.

There is a BIG drop off/reef just off the shipping channel beside the last downstream set of ships. It drops from like less than 5 feet to something like 40-50 feet...maybe more.

Mostly I've only fished for stripers there when targetting bigger fish. Naturally we do a lot of croaker fishing out there too.

I remember when I was a young kid my dad used to pull inbetween the ships and cast a bucktail at stripers that had corralled baitfish in between the walls of the ships. Of course now you can't get that close to the ships anymore to be able to do that. They stopped allowing that even before 9/11.

We did however catch some catfish out by the ships one day when fishing for croaker.