Lower Jame river fishing report

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by messemore, Jun 8, 2009.

1. messemore

messemore New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I went with fgjb2k1 this past weekend to Deep Bottom and to the Chickahominy at the James.

On Saturday we went to Deep Bottom. We did not do too bad for our first time to Deep Bottom. fgjb2k1 caught one blue over 5 pound on whole perch. We stayed about 5 hours and caught 11 fish. We were fishing with cut eel and whole perch. They seemed to like the eel at least the small ones did. We did catch several blues about 3 pounds on the ultralite reels while fishing for bait. They were a lot more fun on the ultralites than on the larger reels. We did over hear one group say that they had caught several on Saturday over 30 pounds.

On Sunday we went out at Chickahominy River Front Park. We caught 5 fish, one over 8 pounds. We only fished for about 2 hours. Then we headed back to Deep Bottom where we added 5 more. On the way to Deep Bottom we met a guy and his son. The guy was very helpful, giving us some pointer and even some tackle. He had been fishing the night before at a private access to the James. He said that they had caught several citation blues.

We did not catch any citations but it was a great weekend. Now that we know the area a little better, we look forward to going back.

Pictures coming soon.

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks for the report. It's a learning process for sure. Just keep going at it, don't get discouraged, and eventually the big ones start coming easier and easier.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome to the BOC. Good stuff here. Glad you had an opportunity to fish the James. Since you caught some during the toughest time of year to do so,,,Try again in the Winter or even better March and April, and the big old fat ones will be hopping in your boat.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome to the BOC, Billy, and thanks for the fishing report! :0a25:

5. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    congrats on catching some fish billy. this is a tough time of year to fish but the eels seem to work good during the hot months. i am still feeling my way around the james so i know the feeling. hope to see you on the river sometime .

6. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've really been wanting to fish there....glad you had a chance.

7. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The pic in my avatar was caught lauching from the ramp at Deep Bottom. We went down river about 2 miles. Keep chasin'em:wink:

Randy

8. Steve Knox

Steve Knox Active Member

State:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Name:
    Steve
    Billy,
    I'm new here too and live in Richmond. I don't have a boat and fish from the bank in several locations. Next time you come to Richmond let me know. I'm willing to share my spots.