lower illinois river stripers?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Blakemo, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    is ther bank access below the ten killer dam for striper fishing on the lower ilinois? If so are longer rods required to cast to them?

2. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    the only bank fishing i know of is there on 64 highway at the railroad bridge, most of the stripers are caught a little closer to the mouth, talk to albert mcbee ,he can give you more info.

3. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I am heading to the 'quah next week for my annual float trip with my friends. I was thinking of taking a pole or two. Would it be worth my while. We will be staying at Diamond Head.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Its hard to fish with all the floaters. If you fish early of morning or about dark you can catch some fish. we have cats. perch bass and if you fish with worms you can catch drum all the time.

Good Luck

5. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks for the info. We luck out at as we are the last resort on the river downstream. My first year there I was all excited to be able to camp by the river and see all the ladies ( i had beads to pass out) only to find out that no one floats by :sad2:. So this year I may try and catch my supper.

6. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
    The only bank access I know of is either at Marval, or Moonshine bay. You have to pay at marval and wade across the river before they generate, then wade back across before it gets too deep and swift. There was a deep hole up river a ways from Marval, but I havent been there in years, it may have changed. Moonshine is a camping area on the river east of Gore. You may be able to get bank access there. Also the Hwy 64 bridge. Other than that I know the locals know the back road way to get to it. I saw some bank fishermen last year by where they dredge gravel up river from moonshine.

7. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    welcome to B.O.C. simpleokie! be carefull on the moonshine side of the river, a lot of trucks have been broken into over there.

8. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
    Thanks Steven, I know moonshine has been known to be a risky place to leave your truck, last yr when I was there it was full of campers so I didnt worry too much. Plus I was only there from dawn to @ 3:00. My boss paid for a trip with Delmer Schultz.
    I heard a guy got the wheels stolen off his trailer at Summers ferry on the Arkansas.