Lower Grand River

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by ittybittykitty, Mar 25, 2008.

1. ittybittykitty

ittybittykitty New Member

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    Has anybody fished the drowned river mouth by Grand Haven? From the map, it looks like I'm talking about the area below about 144th Ave. I know people sometimes hook flatheads off the piers at the mouth. Is this because that's where the fish are or because that's where the fishermen are? There should be some big fish in the lake-like area but I have no idea where. Any information, positive or negative, would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Hi Phil-
    Yes, there are cats there when there's forage fish there, and yes, there's a lot of pier-fishermen there too. If you like crowds- I mean really, really like crowds, you could go there & fish.
    OR, you could go anywhere upstream from highway 31 to Grand Rapids and fish undisturbed in most places and have the opportunity to catch plenty of channels and flats without 40 foot cigarette boats burning past you at full throttle.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Tony

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Tony,
    Nice to hear from you. It's been awhile. Turkey season first, then Catfishing. I plan on making a trip or two across the state when the weather warms up.
    Maybe we can hook up for a night.
    Sparky

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Hey Sparky!
    I'm going for a turkey this year, too. April 21-27.
    The flatheads will probably be warm enough to feed by Memorial Day, if we ever emerge from this friggin' ICE AGE!
    The Grand has been very high at times lately, so there should be new snags, holes, & bars to find & fish.
    Just don't visit too early, like you did last year.
    I'm going to break 40 pounds this year, I just know it.
    Tony

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    never fished it but if you go let us know how you did

6. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I'm glad to hear you're going after the long beard this Spring. Will you be hunting around the GR area, or are you heading up north? I just got back from Mississippi the 19th. We put in alot of bucket time, but we were a couple of weeks early. The birds were silent. Even the locals that really know the area were going birdless. Even though we didn't discharge a gun, we had a great time.
    Good Luck in the turkey woods. Be safe!
    Sparky

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Headed up North for the gobbler. Area K, I think it is.
    Nearly got trampled by turkeys there while I was deer hunting. I sure hope they use the same areas in the Spring...
    Good luck to you, too.

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I myself have seen alot of turkeys while deer hunting. I also turkey hunt in the same place. By late Dec. they seem to move out of the area, but within a mile or two. They always seem to come back by April to roost in the same trees they have for the past few years. I'm getting excited just thinking about 21 April.
    Good Luck, and be safe in the Turkey Woods!
    Sparky

9. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    greetings gentlemen of the north!!!!!!

i myself am already doing a little fishing in central illinois where i now ive, and have caught a few cold water channels already this spring, i mean winter.lol.

whenever the time comes to meet and greet on the grand again, sparky or tony send me a pm cause i'd love to tag olong again. and tony, my guess is you will break 40lbs sometime in the near future, the grand is full of them big gals.

oh yeah, and this time tony can come aboard my boat cause i just recently bought my firtst watercraft. so until then, enjoy life as it comes at you.

-jim (or steve for sparky)

10. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Steve, I mean Jim, it's great to hear from you. I'm glad you haven't forgotten us. Thats great you got yourself a new boat. How big? Can you fit Tony and my big fat fanny in it at the same time, or will the evidense of water over the sides be seen?
    Where in Il. do you live now? Give us the low down.
    Sparky

11. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    i'm back down in champaign, working construction, and playing poker part-time.poker has been going really well for me, and that's always a plus.hopefully it can be full-time work in a year or so. giong to vegas for 20 days in june for a few wrld series of poker events and others.hopefully i can get lucky and retire at th ripe old age of 28 :wink:

the boat is a 1991 or 1992 sea nymph fishermen 163. 16.5 ft. v- bottom. but it has a 2004 mercury 25hp four stroke. so yes sparky we can fit all 3 of us in it. and hopefully a flathead or five.

we just have to make sure to bring less meat for the grill!!!!

-jim

12. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Ready when you are, guys, ready when you are.
    All we need is water in the 65 degree range...

13. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Count me in. I'm ready when you are. I can't wait to get out. With any luck, I'm heading up to Omer this week - end, after the great white sucker.
    Sparky

14. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    Hey sparky! Remember me? I'ts been a long time but i see your still around. I couldnt help but notice all the talk about the grand river. I was born and lived for 13 yrs only 4 blocks from downtown lansing and can remember some big cats as a kid. could you give me any pointers on where to go for a guy without a boat.......any at all would be great.:beat_shot:

15. steinomyte

steinomyte New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I use to fish by the fair grounds in Ionia. Its really quite especially at night. We fish from the bank using live bluegills. Thats works for use the majority time. I'm finially going to try the new spot my father has in july. I'll let you all know how that spot is.