Lower gear case oil screws wont budge

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by wpsatisfide, Feb 23, 2006.

1. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Guess previous owner had not changed lower end oil in a while. I cant get them to budge and Im scared im gonna strip them out. Anyone got any suggestions to help me remove them? How much would a marine service center charge me to do this? I may just let them take them out this first time.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    A hand-held impact driver would be a big help and they're not too expensive - Sears has one for around $25 or so; search for item #00947641000. It's like a screwdriver that you whack with a hammer and it puts a big turning force on the screw to break things loose.

It's what they'll end up using at the marine service place if you pay them to do it. So if you think you'll ever need the tool again, might as well buy one now.

3. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    I whack the screwdriver with a hammer while the screw driver is placed on the screws, then I have a crescent wrench on the shaft of a big screwdriver for leverage. Then I push hard toward the screw and turn at the same time. I change my oil every year and still have trouble getting the screws out. The impact wrench would be the cats @ss!:)

4. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Thanks for help guys. The impact driver sounds like a useful tool so ill go buy one of those today and give it a try. Let you know how it turns out.

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    make sure you use the bit that fits the screw the best.or it can and will strip the screw. seen that many times. impact drivers are nice to have thats for sure.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    PLAN B:The screws themselves are not to expensive!:) Always have a plan B,I keep a couple of spares around in case PLAN A doesn't work so good.::sad: :p :rolleyes: ;)

7. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    lol plan b is good very good. i change my screws out every other year myself kinda dont need to but its just something i do. hmm maybe my wife is right i got a screw loose :p

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Oh yeah-- once you get those screws out, put new gaskets behind them and don't over-tighten when you put them back in... In fact it'd be a good idea, as has been suggested, to get a new set of screws from the dealer and use those instead.

Took me a long time to learn that there's a difference between "tight enough" and "too tight"... I broke off a lot of screws and bolts in the process...

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep, i had to replace the clutch and pinnion gear this season on my force. i replaced every o ring in the process and ya. even the ones on the oil screws. o rings are cheap. gears are not.

and mr-t ya kind of look like jeff burton in that pro pic.:p

10. Outlw36

Outlw36 New Member

State:
    Prineville, Oregon
    Only one screw loose Mutt? C'mon we know better lol.

Make sure you buy a good quality impact. Bought one locally here at an autoparts cause the price was low. real pain when the bit breaks with the sound of broken glass.:sad:

Jim Allen

11. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Impact wrenches work well enough, BUUUUUUUT don't use'm to easy to strip the slot or worse break the screw shank. The suggestion of using a large enough screw driver to fit the slot and then striking with a hammer "gently" is the best course of action, vise grips or cresent wrench for torque. That ""gently"" be your own judge. If I have a "seize" I use a wooden dowel and NOT the screw driver, it spreads the impact out and if you hit to hard with the screw driver you could cause the plug to swell. If the plug still doesn't budge use a soldering iron to slightly heat it,,,,,carefully. The part that needs to be broken loose is usually the gasket that has bonded to the lower unit and the plug, I use only teflon washers. That seize up is a common thing so don't panic. When I have the boat out of the water I take some time to look everything over and will break the plugs loose and reseat them every month or two, no set time I just don't let them set to long.:0a26:

12. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    a lot of great advice guys, keep it comin!!!

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Guys you all are all over this one.
    Good info.
    If those little buggers are real stubborn it doesn't hurt anything to heat them with a small hand held propane torch.
    I have done it several times.

Some one else posted that the driver bit needs to fit the slot right. That withen itself is info that is worth more then money can buy.

14. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I have used a hair dryer to get the aluminum warm enough to allow that screw to unthread, those rubber rings will swell and get ceased up if not taken on and off.

Having the large bladed screwdriver like an S/K that has the flats for a cresent wrench are the best thing to use on those stubborn screws, only drawback with the impact driver is that area is fairly thin and hitting it hard may cause more problems, something else you can try is a can of LoosenIt, it's a penetrating fluid that will get down into those threads and release that corrosion that may be built in.

I change out my oil about three times a year so I never have problems with the screw not releasing...........Doc

15. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I have used a hair dryer to get the aluminum warm enough to allow that screw to unthread, those rubber rings will swell and get ceased up if not taken on and off.

Having the large bladed screwdriver like an S/K that has the flats for a cresent wrench are the best thing to use on those stubborn screws, only drawback with the impact driver is that area is fairly thin and hitting it hard may cause more problems, something else you can try is a can of LoosenIt, it's a penetrating fluid that will get down into those threads and release that corrosion that may be built in.

I change out my oil about three times a year so I never have problems with the screw not releasing...........Doc

16. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    After you try other methods mentioned, go back to the first suggestion and get a hand impact wrench, not an impact wrench.

If I can break them loose in a salt water aplication using a HAND impact, then anybody can. It's the tool of choice in any shop I've ever seen.

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    ooppsss got into the wrong post.

18. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    thanks all, bought the impact wrench from sears, couple light taps on it and they loosened. Hard to beleive because I was literally about to burst a dang bloodvessel trying with my screwdriver lol.

Got one more question though. As this is my first boat and first time changing the lower end oil. When I drained it out there wasnt much oil in there at all, maybe one tube. Oil was just black, no water or other funky look. Magnet on lower screw only had a small amount of stuff on it so im guessing it looked normal. Question is how many tubes is it supposed to hold? I put 2 in and it still wasnt coming out of top (75 hp evinrude 2 stroke). Guess ill go back to store and buy another couple tubes.

19. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The black color means it is used up as in tired oil. With no water and metal shaving just go get you another tube and fill it all the way up.
    I don't remember right off the top of my head how much it takes to fill it but it ain't full until the oil comes out the top hole.
    While you are at it run by a outboard shop and pick up the little round gaskets that go behind the screws.

Now get that done and go fishing.:)

20. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Quit wasting your money on the tubes and buy a quart container and the pump that goes in it.

Where do you buy this pump? Wal-mart of course.

Your lower unit will take the best part of the quart. Don't throw away what's left. Save it, and after a few changes, just pour them into one container and you'll have enough for another change.

It wouldn't hurt to change your oil after a few trips to get rid of the sludge dissolved by this fresh oil. Then once every 100 hrs or before winter set up.