Lower Fox River in Illinois

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by gebs, Mar 28, 2006.

1. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Is there anybody else out there who fishes the lower Fox from Yorkville to Dayton?

This is my primary area to fish and would love to swap spots, stories, and potentially get a Fox River group together.

2. Rigo

Rigo New Member

State:
    Sandwich, IL
    I moved out to Sandwich about a year ago, though I have lake rights to Lake Holiday I mostly fish the Fox. I found a great spot just west of Yorkville. I only fished the area from June through about Oct. I caught a good number of flatheads including one over thirty#. I can't wait to see what comes out of there earlier in the season. Being new to catfishing, I do not know much more than what I read on this site. But I have to tell you, this spot seemed to produce really nice flats even when most other guys throught Illinois were not having much luck.
    I have been waiting for a few days of nice weather to give it a shot, yet i do not know how much longer i can wait. Let me know if you ever need a fishing buddy.

3. whiskerbiscuit

whiskerbiscuit New Member

State:
    Blue Island, Ill
    Let me know and it's on!!!!!Thank's Mike

4. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rigo,

I don't blame you for not fishing Lake Holiday. Eventhough I've heard there are good fish there, there's just too many jokers who want to run a 225hp on a lake that's only 2 miles long.

The Silver Springs boat launch opens Saturday, I plan to drop in early afternoon to check out new deadfall and see where the old deadfall moved over the winter. If it doesn't open soon I think my wife will kill me, that's all I've been talking about for 2 weeks.

5. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    I will be moving out to Downers Grove from California in 1 month ; and I plan on doing some flathead fishing on the fox. I will be totally clueless, as I have no catfish river experience, but I would really like to learn. I have a boat too, so if anyone wants to hook up, I would like to get out there. dude, your avatar crashed out in the lawn chair is a riot !!!!! that is so me

6. vinny

vinny New Member

State:
    ill.
    I fish the fox in aurora just below the dam had some nice 20'' on liver ben fishing there for a couple of years always ben good to me

7. Rigo

Rigo New Member

State:
    Sandwich, IL
    Gebs
    Your right on the money about boats on Lake Holiday. Yet I am hoping the boat racers won't be out til the end of May.
    Till then, what are your thoughts about fish activity in the rivers VS small lakes. I tend to think the river might be a better bet early in the season. What do you guys think.
    Anyways please let us know how you do this weekend.

Muskyman hope you have a safe trip out here. I am sure you will have no problem meeting some good people. You and Gebs aint the only ones who have minds that let thier bodies know when enough is enough. Let me know when you get out here. I might not be much help on the details of why what works here or there, but I can sure show you some nice spots that will produce nice flatheads.

8. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I used to lake fish, but 95% of what I do is river these days. I like Heidecke and Braidwood, but they're about 45 min. away and I like the quick trip to the Fox. As for which is better early in the season, I have to say the river. There's so much movement at this time that I catch a lot of them moving up stream as the levels rise.

Thanks for the :thumbsup: on the Avatar.

9. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well, I went out today for the first time this year. Got skunked. Granted I only fished for an hour, but still; got skunked. I did get a couple nibbles on worm, nothing on dip bait. The river level was good, not too high, not too low. I ran from Plano up to Yorkville, then down to Millington. It was a nice run. All said and done I covered about 20 miles of water; 5 up and 15 down. The winter didn't change the river much at all, the deadfall was pretty much the same as it was last fall. I did find a couple really nice spots that I definitely want to reinvestigate.

I plan on going out again tomorrow morning w/ the boy. He's going to bring his new digital camera to take some pictures of the river. I want him to take a shot or two of the new spot I found, I'd like to see how everyone would fish this spot.

More later.

10. Rigo

Rigo New Member

State:
    Sandwich, IL
    Thanks for the river up date.
    I ended up going out to Shabonna Lake on Sat. As you know, it was pretty cold out there. Did not have much more luck. No cats, but my buddy hooked a nice largemouth bass, on a nightcrawler, off the bottom. We also caught three tiny crappie. I think it might have been just to cold.