Lower end lube

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by wannafish, Sep 16, 2007.

1. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just picked up a nice boat and it has a 1967 Mercury 650 , runs unbelievably great and is super clean all the way around ...here is my question ...
    I took the vent and upper (flush )screw out and tried to squeeze some lower end fluid in it to see if was topped off and some came out of the lower hole where you would put garden hose muffs on (water intake?)...so I decided to try to do it the right way and took the bottom screw out and top off from there ...when taking it out there was no water in the oil , put some oil in until it started to come out top hole (did not take hardly any)and nothing came out the water intake hole ...is that normal? I figured that the water passage would be sealed seperatley ..and when nothing came out when I filled it the right way maybe it is suppose to be that way .This thing was purchesed from origonal owner(1975 boat) and was like new , he had a new water pump put in it recently and gave me an extra new 1 but all I know how to do is fill the tanks and go.Thanks for the help

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Now roy that is a new one on me. I haven't encountered that problem before. I would say go ahead and run it and check that lower unit pretty regular until first freeze to make sure that it doesn't have water intrusion. Putting it in at the top will only add air bubbles so always install from the bottom drain screw.

BTW those old 650 were good motors in my book and properly maintained will give you a continued years of service.

3. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    we went out this morning and everything ran out great , no water in lower end. I was suprised how fast and powerful it was .great fuel consumption also. Now being new to boating in the south , and the time coming near ... we want to be able to boat in the winter ...chase the cats anyway ...what do we have to do so it won't freeze between outings?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Just park the boat when you ain't fishing so the lower unit will be in the down position so all the water will run out of the leg and you will be good to go.
    Just check the lower unit oil frequently to make sure no water is in it.