Lower colorado river

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by thunderchicken, Nov 11, 2009.

1. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Me and my fishing buddy gary tried our luck yesterday for some catfish on the river. We launched out of Squaw lake and headed upriver. Weather was really nice, slight breeze, and about 89 degrees. We tried the usual baits, mack, crawlers, stink, and anchovies. Water temp was 68.5 and felt cold to me. Fishing was very slow although gary did have one on that managed to break him off in the tulies. Oh well, such is the life of a fisherman. I think it's possible to catch a few now and then but I'm afraid it may be time for the old cry, "wait til next year". Had a good day though with good friendship and enjoying the sights and sounds of the river. Tight lines to all.

:cool2:

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    you know, maybe this is getting kinda (shall i say clicky) i've made a couple of posts and no answers and now thunderchicken made a post and not one response. granted, we couldn't say we caught fish, but we posted. guess we need to know how to join the click? come on guys, some of us can't fish where you are, so we do best we can.
    gary

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I been hopin to get to the Colorado river to fish, hopefully next year. I was asked about possibly going to Yuma in Nov but figured I'd be in MN deer hunting. Looks like I won't be doing that, either. Hopefully I will get to do it next year. If I get to Yuma I will be contacting tofish as I"ve heard good stuff about him from bayrunner ray.

4. Widemouth

Widemouth New Member

State:
    Arizona
    My son and I will probably hit the lower Colorado this weekend, (Sat 14th), near Yuma. I'm planning on launching the canoe, possibly at the Laguna Dam, or maybe we'll slip under the old bridge and fish by the hydro -electric dam near Algodones.

5. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Hey Gary, no click here! I have been busy working, and getting ready for the hunting season. I haven't been out in a while. I am glad that you have made it out down there in Yuma, and hope you catch some toads! I haven't really seen any new posts lately, looks like the season for the most part is done for me. I do like to read others posts, it is one thing I actually enjoy looking forward to doing. I apologize if I came off clicky.

6. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey, I enjoy all stories fish or no fish and I have enjoyed both trips. Thanks for the report, Mike

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    when i posted, i wasn't meaning all on az site. but a few threads on rosy, others above phoenix or tuscon, i've posted on, trying to join in. either was ignored, ignored, or not noticed. i've asked how far up there to see if possible to go up sometime and meet people. this was back when warmer. never answered. the conversation kept going like never asked. i understand people are catching fish there, having good time, but it's same people and seemed like outsiders weren't answered. maybe i took wrong, but sure seems like a few of the ca threads, except they at least answer.
    tight lines to all and i will continue to read about the fishing trips. darn fish down in yuma all seem to have lockjaw now.
    gary

8. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey Gary, If you are up around Roosevelr let me know. Generally when in your area I am beelining it to Joshua Tree to see my son and his family.Right now less people fishing less people catching, even with the tight mouths:smile2:

9. Widemouth

Widemouth New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey, I didn't launch my canoe as planned on Saturday. One of my deep cycle batteries wouldn't charge up past 70%, and at my age I depend on my trolling motor to get upstream. Anyway, I still went fishing from the bank of the Gila Gravity Canal. I stopped off at my favorite spot on Mittry Lake to catch some gils for bait, with my cast net, and ended up catching two legal sized bass about 5 feet from shore! The catfishing that followed didn't go so well, but at least the bass were an interesting highlight to the evening.

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey Gary,,
    Keep plugging,, sometimes threads get overrun with the number of posts in them.. who knows..I've seen it in other threads,, so many people yakking ,, I don't think anything would've been intentional..certainly hope not..
    If anyone ignores you,, they'd definitely be losing out, as you're a good insight to some good fishing experience,, IMO...:big_smile:
    Greg

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    bad night greg. just reminded me of another forum where always the same ones posting and ignoring all others. we are too small of group here in az. can't afford this.
    but all is well. i like to read the reports, the joking around. just the ignoring "outsiders" sometimes bothers me.
    hope to see you down here next spring. like i mentioned (i believe i did) in blythe, got a spare room for you and better half if you need down here. be glad to show you the lower river some and then let you find your own area's.
    gary