Lower Colorado River chewing now -catfish and stripers biting!

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by tofish, Sep 28, 2007.

1. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    the cats and stripers are biting folks. took a couple out this past tuesday. i played net boy. 5 cats, (channels) and 6 stripers. all decent size. went back out tonight by myself same spot. fished less than 1 1/2 hrs. from 6:30 to 7:45. caught 6 channels and 5 stripers. all hooked in mouth and sense i didn't need, released to fight again.
    fish mouth of inlets. mackeral and worms. flatheads biting after about 8:00 or so on live gills. it's a ball.
    gary

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    good job gary. i am stuck here at headquarters on duty for the night. might go out tomorrow since i have Duty Day Off. hit me up if you wanna head out.

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    tomorrow night? call me. i'm awake until 0030 at least. or send message.
    gary

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Good catch. I miss Arizona had some of the best fishing of my life their around the yuma area in the gila river and the yuma canals. Flathead and big bass galore. im coming back in March just to go fishing.

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Gary, got off the PM talking to Plumbertom1, and we will be heading down that way on Thur 11.... might fish the American Canal on the way down, and will meet up with someone in yuma .... I'd like to meet up with you if your avail... maybe we can get up river to Piccacho for sat. Pm, or just stay down river and fish your recomendations......

Yuma mini gathering????

Bayrunner ray

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Ray, far as i know, it's sounding good. my sister shouldn't get here until after that weekend, so nothing to stop me now.
    hopefully sgt fishslayer will be able to go to.
    gary

7. gtbait

gtbait Active Member

State:
    AZ
    I'll be down there over the 11-14th. Likely camping and fishin out of Picacho. The Channels will be setting up in predictable locations in the backwater lakes. Bait will be easy to make during the middle of the day. Saving the twilight and early mornings for the Flatheads. This is a great time of year for fishin' all night as far as I'm concerned. It's a rare overnighter that my Flathead bait isn't sucked down by a passing Striper. Not those little 3-5 pounders. Something with ill intent and an appetite. If you folks head up to the Picacho area you'll likely see a little white Porta-bote hiding out in the shade during the midday. I won't go to CA to pick up my Basstracker. The little Porta-bote floats in inches, just right for sneakin in the backwaters.

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    fished same spot again last night with a friend. only one decent bite. but got to looking at the water flow and thinking. the other nights, water was flowing a lot faster and stronger than last night. so i went online to check the outlet flows at the pala verde dam. now it's so far up river, i figure about 4-6 hrs to affect water flow down close to imperial dam. if this is case, the difference was close to a 5,000 meter less last night. guess i'm gonna start watching the water flow a lot closer now.
    gary

9. badgmc

badgmc New Member

State:
    Arizona
    toFish,
    I was thinking of heading down that way this weekend. Is it possible to use a 20ft deep V fiberglass on the river down there? I used to fish the rivers back in Virginia without a problem, haven't tried it in the year plus out here. If I can flaot the boat where would you recommend putting in and heading to. In general terms I do not want to know where you hot spot is, just ones like it.

Thanks for any help,
    badgmc

10. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    badgmc, several places to launch. fisher lake is free, but sometimes kinda shallow. i believe best ramp is at squaw lake. 10.00 use fee though. i've seen lots of deep boats out there. are you going after bass or cats? i don't know very much about bass fishing. hope okay to do this, but a good site to ask on is yumabassman.com it's a local site, and people are very free with their knowledge.
    pm me if you want more info. by the way, i monitor that site and we keep it very family friendly.
    gary

11. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Gary.... I plan to depart Thur Pm and maybe fish the canals off of 8 on the way down... maybe Tom and you and I can do the local canals fri pm, and then go to Fisher landing on Sat.... I like it better there for camping and launching.... I'd rather do that then launch at Squaw.... but I've only been there by boat and have not driven there....Got to keep the water watch going......

bayrunner ray

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Ray, i'm opposite. i like squaw better to launch. but can do both. what canals you talking about? in ca or az? i cannot fish ca now.
    i'm slowly figuring out the water flow. (my old mind works slow nowadays) seems like when pala verde dam opens, it takes about 6 hrs to affect imperial area. figure, 5 1/2 hrs for fishers, ect as you go up. least that is what i'm thinking. you bringing that boat i saw you with at blythe? or have another? just wondering.
    anyhow, where ever launch at, i'm down and game at this time. if sgt fishslayer can't go, have another marine from base that wants to go. i'm gonna try and get up to military cabins at martinez and talk to guys there. ask them about sand bars up river. last time, they gave me good info on where to dodge accross the river at what point. that might help us.
    gary

13. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Gary, been so busy with posts at other places and so I forgot about this one.... they all say the same thing.... were going after after "flats and channels" if anything else gets in our way they we will go from there..... I think that you are right on the launch at squaw... from what I saw when I flew over via the google ship, it looks ok..... I just like to get out of calif. sometimes, and Fisher landing is in az....... I get the "itchie back" feeling in calif.

Anyway.... "we bee leaving and arriving all on the same day".... just a little tail wind might help...... going down through Indio and look at the Salton Sea and wonder what it was like 20 years ago before the "DEMOS" ended it.....I even stopped at New River one day to check out the fishing in the "most poluted rivier in the United States of America. That was rather "trippy".... here I was under the freeway in the shade with "stink' fishing for 20 minutes.... one of thoes "look-see" trips on the way to Martinez..... anyway, I was done trying and came back to the RV, and the wife said that this guy pulled over to tell me that the fish in there are going to kill me, and it was listed in the wall street journal as the most......... so what "I fished it".....

Do you have any extra feul tanks.... I may bring the "BIG Boat"

See ya Thursday..... Bayrunner Ray

14. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    ray, i've fished both new river and the alamo river. both are almost tied in pollution. only did good in alamo though. nice size flatties out of it. didn't keep any though.
    you bring the big boat and we're all going up in it. we could just plow a new channel upriver.
    understand the itch to get out of ca once in awhile. i used to live there too. but i think you'll like it better.
    gary

15. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia

I was in yuma 3 times the period I was active duty and if I had know then what I know now about the fishing. woo wee ! I would be a conservation officer for Az right now !

16. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    hey ray if you bring the big boat we wont have to worry about making it to picacho. the only thing we will have to worry about is keeping more water in front of us than there is behid us.

17. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Well guys, I'm Having a cup of mornin mud and then hitting the road down to Rays. WE will be departing through the Inland Empire Via the 91 fwy as soon as I can make my way through LA morning trafffic on the 405. See you soon.

18. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    looking forward to meeting you Tom. have a good trip and be careful. the snowbirds are in town.

19. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    well Tom, if i remember right, that will take you most of morning to get down the 405 :0a19:. hated that fwy.
    i'm still waiting to hear from eric on when he's bringing the yak over, but it'll all work out.
    i went out yestersday with camp host for afternoon. did good on smaller bass using small shallow divers with blue or red in them. about fell over when he caught a 3/4 lb crappy in lake ferguson too.
    have a safe drive and hope you tear the canals up if you still stop and fish them.
    gary

20. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Gary, thanks for the "great trip".....what is the fishing like around... just before Thanksgiving.... I know the water may be much lower, but what about the availability of "Gills" that time of the year? If the Salmon arn't at Rio Vista, and depending on weather.... I'd rather enjoy some good ole Yuma heat... than the "Delta" wind and rain....

bayrunner ray