Lower Colorado help

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by marauder651, May 22, 2007.

1. marauder651

marauder651 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Howdy all,

Going to the Colorado this weekend (Rosey and the Salt are going to be way too crowded) and have never been. Thinkin about the Yuma area. Any tips or advice on where to go (I'll be stuck on shore)? No need to give up any honey holes but just a general area where I can set up camp with the dog and avoid any drunken yahoos that aren't fishing. Or maybe the Gila? Canals?
    Thanks in advance

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if you are going to the Colorado down here in yuma, GOOD LUCK!!!! this place gets so crowded on holiday weekends its ridiculous. People copme out here from california and phoenix and the colorado gets clogged with boats. if you do head down here what i suggest is putting in at squaw lake and heading up river to Picacho. better get there around 0800 or so, if not have fun fighting the crowds. Yuma gets ridiculous this time of year because of boaters, mostly being speed boaters and party barges.

3. marauder651

marauder651 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    That's kinda what I figured. I was trying to find out if it's insane everywhere or just in town. What about up farther North? Canals where there might be Flatties?

4. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    The all american splits off the river around yuma.Good flathead and channel cattin.Dont have to worry about all the noisy boats either.Finding a comfortable spot to camp may be a factor since its just a dirt road along the canal,but I have done it.The burrows/donkeys come out at night.

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    if you go to the all american canal, don't forget you need a ca license there. good luck on where you go. think i'm staying home over weekend, unless it's out at night.
    mittry lake might work, if you can get down here before weekend to get a spot.
    gary

6. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I agree with Gary, Yuma will be packed, but if you go to any canal you should be able to fish with no problem. As you get off the I-8 on either Fortuna or 16th st. you can go east or west on 16th (it becomes Route 95 east of Yuma) there are a ton of canals you can stop and try your luck.

I am staying home unless something else happens.