lower arkansas river

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by capt theory, Jan 19, 2006.

1. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i dont get to fish this area near as much as id like but i know that the cats here are as big as you could ever want them to be or handle on rod and reel. especially webbers falls and kerr dams. i personally havent claimed any real trophies here but i have heard of some big ole hawgs.

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Josh, The Arkansas folks are forming a gathering in June. [ see the gathering thread/section]. The gathering will be at WDM, which is the last dam on the Arkansas river before it flows into the Mississippi river. you cant get much lower river than that. yep I have fished it. You are more than welcome to attend this gathering.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Also, since the barge traffic goes over through the White River below there, there's no lock on that dam, and very minimal Corps impact on the river from WDM to the Mississippi. For us folks used to working with the barge channel, this 'wild' section of the river takes some getting used to. For example, a couple or three miles down from the dam, there's a wide shallow spot. It seems like there should be some kind of deeper section of the river that's a little easier to navigate, but no, it's about the same depth pretty much all the way across the river--3.5'-4' deep last trip.

4. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i live about 5 miles from L&D 14 and i fish above and below it. i have caught blues and flats from 1 to 40 for the past three years. it doesn't matter if you are jugging or big pole fishing, you can catch em. it doesn't seem to me to be very heavily fished. lots of water between kerr dam and the arkansas state line. i work for a sand company out of van buren. that would be the L&D 13 pool. i see lots of fishing pressure potential there. i am on the river most of the time and i see lots of boat traffic. the spoonbill run just ended and all of the netters(commercial fisherman) were out. they had 50 to 60# flats in their nets all week, so i know some big ones are there.

5. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    hey im gonna have to make some plans to come visit you down there. ive fished every dam and area on the channel except that one. i love the area below kerr dam and i know thats its relativly untapped. further up north sandplants equal honeyholes on the arkansas. on a side note from cattin, roughly how much do you make working at sandplants. ive always wanted to work at one because thatll give access to some killer fishing..

6. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    whenever you get ready come on down. we'll get after em. maybe you can show me some tricks to catchin some nice fish. i work for arkhola sand as a deisel mechanic. i will probably pull in about 40,000 this year. its not alot but i love that arkansas river. so i get the oppurtunity to be on or near the river every day.

7. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Maybe I can join you boys.I'm not far from you okiekrawler,I've been fishin Kerr latley and pullin in nice blues from 3 to 18lbs on shad:cool:

8. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    BIG SAMMY
    ARE you fishing from boat . i live just across ark line and have thought of going to kerr or mayo and try it but havent had any info on these .

9. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i am glad to see someone gettin shad. i fished mayo pool yesterday and one of the spots that typically held fish didnt produce a bite. oh yeah, and i didnt find any shad. i only was able to fish for 3 hours so i wasnt that upset.

10. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    bigsammy, i am a deisel mech. also. i worked for riggscat for 9 years. who ya workin for?

11. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Okiekrawler and Boliver I pm'ed ya'll about yer questions.The shad has moved out of my winter spot.I'll have to chase em down,it was good while it lasted.Maybe they're back by now,I'll try again this weekend,I may have to go to my frozen stash in the freezer:cool:

12. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    thanks allen, i 've been workin like crazy but i'll try to get by yer shop this week. i am now working for arkhola sand and we've been hooked up!