Lowe Roughneck tiller owners question

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Spot shooter, Jun 17, 2017 at 3:57 PM.

1. Spot shooter

Spot shooter Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm thinking about gettting a 2070 DLX tiller and wanted to know if they sit low enough that you had to put pods on them.

I like the big livewell up front, and the fact you can get away with a 60-75 hp motor. If I go with a center console I'd go 115hp and that puts the rig up around the 23-26 k range...

Thanks for your thoughts

2. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Somewhat of a tough question, Spot. I have a 2013, 2070 Roughneck tiller model with a new 60hp 4 stroke on it. Not the DLX model though. 75 is the max allowed motor for this model. I wanted the large open area between the bench seat and the front and specifically did not want to be standing on a high deck on the big river at night. I am usually fishing alone and it will do just short of 30mph WOT. That is more than enough for me.

These tend to get back heavy quickly because all the heavy stuff is within 3 feet of the transom. Because of that, it can have a tendency to porpoise unless the motor is tucked under. Mine has no live well but it the DLX has one up front, that will help add weight to the nose thus changing the center of gravity and better balancing the boat.

Next, you being in Kansas, makes me think of flat land and wind which means choppy water. These modified Vs can get rough in heath chop which means you either take a little pounding or idle along.

I am not intending to talk bad about it because I like mine. I have never tried one with the pods on the back but it would seem the additional flotation would be a good thing to lift the transom.

The best way to find out about the last two paragraphs would be to test run one so you know what it will do. I would suggest test it on a smooth water day and then again on a day with heavy swells so you can see the good and the bad.

These things (boats in general) are expensive so it is important that you are satisfied with what you get.

The transducer brackets on the transom or Pods are a good idea.

Hope this is helpful.

3. Spot shooter

Spot shooter Member

State:
    Kansas
    Tom, I was hoping you would chime in on the boat and your experience. I had run across some of you posts when looking into how it might ride, and noticed you had one.

I'm also looking at a lund alaskan, but those suckers are pricey.. not to mention a lund pro guide - which IMO would be much better suited for the lakes around here - but not as well suited for the rivers like the kaw... No such thing as a perfect boat.

Thanks,
    Mike

4. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    I would get the pods, I have a Crestliner 1860 which is pretty much the same thing as the roughneck, made at the same place. I have the 75 horse tiller and I cant think of one time where a little extra booyancy would have been a bad thing

twaskom likes this.