Lowe 2070 Roughneck modified with pods

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by twaskom, Jul 29, 2020.

1. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Finally went to visit my Tig welder today to get my Beavertail pods installed.

I have had them for several months now but Roger the welder has been busy and I have been being especially careful with the virus around.

Anyway my Lowe 2070 Roughneck tiller model was a little heavy in the caboose. I have always blamed that on the motor and three batteries. I have gained a little but I am still below 200lbs.

So I am adding the Large Beavertail pods which happen to counter balance 200#. So it will be like me not being in the boat.

I will have to do some experimenting to see if I leave the Whale tale on the motor or take it off now.

fullsizeoutput_781.jpeg

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2117.JPG

IMG_2118.JPG

IMG_2127.JPG

Paint will come later.

2. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    I would think the pods will raise the rear up quite a bit. Look forward to hearing the results!

twaskom and ramon06 like this.

3. mooseman75

mooseman75 Well-Known Member

State:
    Utah
    Name:
    Justin
    Tom I understand that paint will come later but those are nice looking. Looks very well worth the wait.

ramon06 likes this.
  4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Ramon
    Those pods look great Thomas. I've been considering pods myself on my 168 Polar Kraft. When I walk to the back it dips but not too bad. Now when myself and someone else are baiting up, casting or fighting multiple fish the rear dips pretty low. Not enough to fear sinking but more than I want or are comfortable with. I have considered adding the whale tail first to see if it makes a difference, I just don't want to waste my time. I keep hoping that the whale tail would be enough because I'd hate to have to reposition the transducers and have to worry about trying to maneuver fish around/avoiding them while fighting. You can see what I mean about the the rear dipping by how much water comes into the splash area in these pictures. This is me (205lbs), my wife (116lbs) and a triple (48, 46 and roughly a 3-5lb cat) 20190830_141119.jpeg 20190830_140700.jpeg 20190830_141329.jpeg 20190830_142013.jpeg 20190830_142102.jpeg

5. Thunder head

Thunder head Well-Known Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Steven
    Sweet,
    Look forward to the results.

ramon06 likes this.
  6. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Roger does pretty work. Looks good and I suspect it will give the results you desire.

ramon06 likes this.
  7. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Thanks all. Riger repairs aircraft for a living. When not at work, he works out of his own shop behind his house.

fullsizeoutput_783.jpeg

IMG_2110.JPG

This is his personal shop behind his house. When I call, Roger sets up a time. When I show up he starts work. I can assist or watch. Cost is $50 an hour. And he has a good supply of materials in stock should you need anything. For someone wanting to get things done right and be there while it is being done to get it just right, you can't beat it.

Today I am getting a small rod rack added to my 14 footer.

It is a tiller model. I want it so I can pop two pins and the rack will rotate forward for easy access fishing OR backwards so it is out of the way for running the tiller. Without having to remove the rods.

We shall see how that works out.

8. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    I envy folks who have a talent, if I have one I haven't found it yet. I can weld, carpenter, mechanic and a few other things but I don't have a talent for any of them. The rod rack sounds interesting.

ramon06 likes this.
  9. jumpmaster

jumpmaster Well-Known Member

State:
    ohio
    Name:
    david
    I am interested if it has an effect on speed or handling, keep us informed on how it does.

ramon06 likes this.
  10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    That’s a nice clean shop. Looks like the guy really takes pride in his equipment and that most likely means he takes pride in his work.
    $50 an hour is very reasonable for someone who knows what he’s doing.

...W

11. crcanter

crcanter Well-Known Member

State:
    WV
    Name:
    Craig
    Winston, I was thinking the same thing. That’s the shop of a craftsman, not someone who’s just going to slop it together! I wish I could get my students to keep my school shop in that kind of condition.

Tom, I’m curious about the effect those pods have on performance as well. I’m sure you’ll give us an update once you get it on the water.

riverbud55, ramon06 and metalman like this.
  12. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Yeah those are excellent Welds.. very good choice Tom

ramon06 likes this.
  13. Tommy Dean

Tommy Dean Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Tommy dean
    That is a great looking installation. Glad your tramsom worked out with the correct angle where you did not have to space it at the top. Believe you will love them.

ramon06 likes this.
  14. Steinhauer87

Steinhauer87 Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Tim steinhauer
    Looking good Tom! Let us know when you hit the water and gives the desired outcome. That’s a shop of a man who takes pride in his work

ramon06 likes this.
  15. kramkram

kramkram New Member

State:
    Il.
    Name:
    mark
    wow what a weld job you very fortunate to have that kind of talent at that price.

ramon06 likes this.
  16. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Yes Roger does really good work. And I have had him work on three of my boats now and I have absolutely no complaints about the price. What I really like is being able to take it over on a scheduled appointment and the job I brought is the only thing going on and I can be right there telling him what I want and why I want it that way. he does custom work while you wait so to speak.

I had my 14 footer there today getting a rod rack put on it. Both yesterday and today, no breaks no lunch just, get-er-done. He had a friend come oner yesterday to drop off a radiator to be repaired. They chatted a few minutes and Roger made sure he mentioned that the chat was not going to be on my dime. He not only does custom work, keeps an maculate shop but makes sure you only pay for what you get.

Today I wanted a rod rack on my Lowe 1448. It is just a tiller model with a 9.9hp mercy on it.

Just the bench for the tiller with no middle bench so wide open floor just like my 2070 tiller. What I wanted to do was to have the rods in the holders and the rack angled back to make the tiller easy to operate. Then then I stop to fish, I pull two pins and the rack shifts toward the front where I pin it in the new position. The small river I fish has a rapid current and I do not want to have to step up on the bench seat to get a rod. This way the rod will be held right at the front of the bench seat and I will be in my reclining lawn chair snoozing/fishing.

Wife has a bunch of medical procedures at Indy Hospital tomorrow early but I will post some pictures in a day or two. Also it has been raining. Pictured coming though with a better explanation on what I wanted.

tight lines.

SteveMcK and prlwng like this.
  17. SCUBACATFISHMAN

SCUBACATFISHMAN Active Member

State:
    Santee, SC
    Name:
    Dan Brothers
    Nice pods Tom.... wish Roger lived closer to me... that is a BEAUTIFUL SHOP...WOW

18. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    He does like things orderly. When he opens a tool drawer for a wrench, they are all lined up nicely like for inspection. Unlike my wrench drawer which has wrenches tossed in three layers think.

Still my main thing was not having to drop the boat off and they would get to it sometime in the next four weeks. When you show up, he starts and works till it is done.

19. ferdthe4

ferdthe4 Active Member

State:
    Indiana, Bedford
    Name:
    Andy
    Roger the pods look nice you'll be happy with them. I welded on a custom set of pods I had made for my boat from templates I made out of card board. I did this a couple years ago. Was well worth it. I wouldn't have figured your boat being so long and wide would really need pods with only a 60hp on the back. I added them to my boat cause I have 70hp hanging on the back of a 1554. It's an outboard jet so it's really like 40-50hp at the jet. Jets just aren't as efficient as a prop transferring the power to the water. If you had the pods put on right so the bottom is angling up from the back of the boat some they shouldn't hurt your top speed at all, and should help you plane out quicker. I was really happy with mine made my boat draft a few inches less, planes out quicker than it did, and my top speed didn't drop at all.

I welded mine on myself, but had a custom aluminum boat maker build the pods. What he charged me to make the pods wasn't worth it for me to go and buy the sheet aluminum, cut it, and weld it all together. I have to admit your friends shop is nice, I have a nice shop, but it's seldom that clean. Seems every time I clean mine up some, it then becomes a mess just as quickly from whatever I'm working on next. A few pics of when I put my pods on and painted my old outboard green to match the boat since I duck hunt from my boat a lot too. I did a full write up on up on my install on different forum dedicated to aluminum boats I can post the link if anyone would like to see it.
    IMG_0424.JPG IMG_0426.JPG IMG_0430.JPG IMG_0431.JPG IMG_0432.JPG IMG_0439.JPG IMG_0461.JPG IMG_0463.JPG

Attached Files:

20. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I am looking forward to trying it out but promised myself I would change the oil and filter before I took it out. Disciplining ones self if tough but it is a good way to get important stuff done. Thanks for your thoughts and results. Even though I only have a 60, the 4 strikes are still pretty heavy and with the tiller model I set pretty close to the back. I put a whale tail on it because I was getting some porpoising and with the tail I can tilt the engine some.

I did ensure the back of the pod was a little higher then the front so I could pick the nose up some.

tight lines.