lowarance model help

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by carpdoctor, Mar 2, 2008.

1. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am looking at getting a new sonar/gps combo. I have been looking at the Lowarance 525. My first question is what is IGPS mean and what is the advantage of having duel Frequency. I really don't have any deep water to fish in so would it be a waste of money to get a duel frequency 4000 watt model? For my conditions would I be just as happy with a single freq 2400 watt model? Should I be looking at other models besides the lowarance?

Thanks

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, the IGPS means "internal antenna" as opposed to a remote mounted antenna. You can get all the info http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/
    and decide for yourself. The model 520C would probably do just fine for you. It all depends on how much you want to spend. Look at all the models, then decide what you like. You don't need the DF.

3. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Chris...I have the Lowrance 525. It is a good finder. I wanted 4000 watts of power and an external antenna. You can purchase the unit and swap the dual frequency tranducer out for a singe frequency transducer through Lowrance. If you don't fish deep water you don't need dual frequency, but 2400 watts vs. 4000 watts, to me there is a need for more watts. There are many benifits to having more wattage. I did put a single frequency transducer on my boat. And it works fine. It plugs in just like the dual frequency transducer did.

4. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What is the purpose of going to a single frequency? Why didn't u just stick with the DF transducer? Can't u just turn the DF feature off if u don't want it. Is there a down side to having a DF. Do u really think that u get any advantage from having 4000 watts of power in less than 40 ft of water. It will mostly be used in 20 ft or less.