Low Water Moultrie - Picture of water level attached

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jk888, Oct 3, 2007.

1. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    Attached you will see how low the water is on Moultrie.
    This boat is tied up and normally floats where it is tied.

Also at the Canal Lakes launching ramp seen a pontoon launch and the empty trailer hard a hard time getting out.

Also heard they may lower the lakes 5 more feet to work on the dam. I don't
    know whether this is true or not but heard from a couple of prople

Jim

Attached Files:

2. steelytom

steelytom New Member

State:
    Cola, SC
    The five additional feet is a rumor. Unless it continues to not rain.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jim,

Not looking good ole buddy! Hopefully water levels get back to normal in the forseeable future?

4. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    South Carolina /Lake Murray
    I wish I lived closer , I would love to map out some routes on the GPS. If you can make it around the lake now . most spring times when I crappie fish it should be a breeze !

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jim, as I make my way around the lakes I see a lot of stranded boats, and docks that are high and dry. There are some sailboats near the diversion canal that will need a lot of water to float again. lol We sure need some rain, but what we're getting right now along the coast won't be much help, I'm afraid. Thanks for the report.
    I think the 5' additional drop is just a rumor. Right now, S/C is doing all they can to conserve what is in the lakes.
    BTW, how is the water over where you stay? Can you launch from there?

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    This is as bad as I have ever seen it....

7. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I saw alot of boats on hartwell yesterday that were sitting on dry land.

8. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    Tommy, you can launch from here and go straight out for about a hundred yards then you can then go any direction.

All the boats including sail boats that are in the slips are setting on the bottom or nearly on the bottom "including mine". I moved my boat out in the boat slips a couple of weeks ago thinking I could always get out. I went back Monday and it was just barely floating and its too shallow to get out, so I guess I should have put it on the trailer.

He improved the ramps and dug out from the ramps so at low water you could still launch and get to the lake. Using the Virtual Earth site you can see how far he dug out the launch area.

Jim

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have been putting in at canal lakes without any problems but havent been in about a week. I hope the most of these landings take this time to repair their ramps while they can but I am sure it is hard to spend the extra money with none coming back in. I know that canal lakes must be making a killing cause last time the water was low they added to their ramp. Jim what part of the lake are you on?

10. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    James, I have a spot at Angels Landing.

Jim

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I just came in from a circuit of lake moultrie. The only ramps that I would use is at Canal Lakes or Hill's Landing. Russelville is open, but there is a shallow bar to the south when you leave the rediversion canal channel. The hatchery landing is almost dry, but might be useable from the old ramp there, not sure about getting through the canal into the lake, though. Atkins is a desert, but Short Stay is ok, except be careful of a shallow bar just a short distance from the landing; once you cross the bar, it's ok. I wish I had taken the camera with me; never seen so many stumps before!
    Harry's on lake marion is to be used at your own risk, and I don't know about any others up that way.

12. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    What about the ramp at Bonneau?

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mark, I haven't been there since last week. It was extremely low then, but I manage to idle out and back in with a 15' duracraft boat; it's gotta be lower now, and as far as I know, it's still "launch at your own risk".

14. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Mark welcome to the BOC. I think canal lakes is about the only option on the lower lake right now especially for a boat with ant size to it.

15. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    with the way this is going all these boat docks closing no baot fishing:crazy: and so on fishing will be at a halt cause all the fish have moved to deeper colder water so theres go bank fishing out the window :crazy:we need rain bad forget rain we need a force 5 hurricane or a flood all conctreating on the water lol:smile2:

16. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Harry's is gettin pretty rough, but it can be used. I ate lunch there the other day and cringed as I watched a few guys use it. Oh, well, at least the prop repair business is doing great! I don't knowhow much I trust long range forecasts, but they are calling for it to be dry well into next year for the southeast

17. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Mark, how bout' gettin' an avatar so we can see the captain of team Tolson(formerly Team Thurman,which is former team Century).:smile2:

18. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    can you still launch on the river and come thrue the loc or has this been stoped.

19. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    Ron I don't know but will try and find out today.

Jim

20. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Roundhill I was wondering that very same thing just the other day and forgot to check on it.