Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Low water in my pond - my channel catfish are gonna die

3K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  CJ21 
#1 ·
I have a pond full of channel, big channel (upwards of 15 pounds), but SE Kansas is realy dry right now and the ponds are going dry. My pond is spring fed but it still gets pretty low. I feed them every day now. I was wondering what I can through in the water for them to spawn in? This pond sets in our front yard and is kept pretty clean of moss. So, scence it has not rained I'm affraid they will not have anywhere to spawn.

SAVE DA FISHIEES!!!

#4 ·
If ya want something to put in there for them try 15 gal or 55gal. plastic barrels clean of course weight them down with cinder blocks and ya will have some nice catfish holes fro them to go into. But like was said before, they will be ok and spawn when the temp is right.

#5 ·
I agree, barrels make excellent spawning areas for channels.Just make sure they are clean.Another good thing I have used is old tires,just use something to prop them open. If you have cats as big as you say you might have to use truck tires.I do this too,and they will use them to spawn in.This may sound silly but it works.

#6 ·
I'd check with my local county agent to find out just how hot your pond water can get before the cats start floating belly up in significant numbers. If the water starts getting close to that temp, I'd get me a powerful pump to pump water up over the pond in a spray. The evaporation will cause the water level to drop even faster, but it will also cool the water and put oxygen back into it. Don't be concerned if the cats quit eating when the water gets hot; that's normal. Just be sure that the cats are eating whatever food you do put in the pond. Unused food will rot, using up the oxygen, killing the fish.

#7 ·
Erik you might want to check with your local Department of Agriculture for information. I buy hybred bluegills and channel cats from ours. They have a wide selection of baby fish delivered to your pond (s). They also give you advise on terrace support for water sheds to support your new or existing pond. Heres the best part, if you have work done they will pay part of the expenses. I'm also including a toll free number for a place in Tenn. that I have done business with for over 20yrs. Memphis Net And Twine Co. I strongly recommend getting their free catalog and see their complete line. Good people, Good Stuff, Free! 1-800-238-6380 They are open 24/7 so call when you want.
Not all bologna comes in a circle!
Don

To the world you may be just a person, but to a person you may be the world.

#8 ·
We have a spring-fed slough at one of our places. A few years ago it went dry so we had a bull-dozer come in and scrape it out. When it did, it must have uncovered the spring or something because 2 days later, the little slough was almost full. As far as keeping the fish alive--I dont know. Do you have another pond close by you could transfer them to, or at least some of them?

#10 ·
May be worth running water from a well, if possible. If they die, it will take years to replace them...and they do almost become family. But, it's your call. Ponds are the same here in OKlahoma....dry, dry, dry.

#11 ·
you said your pond is full AND low...hopefully not too full. if the water level continues to drop a lost spawn might be a good thing...if they do spawn and it still drops you might have too many fish and lack of oxygen which would kill off your biggest fish first. but like the others said...dont worry about it unless you start seeing white bellies floating around

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.