Low temp aluminum repairs

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by metalfisher, Jul 10, 2006.

1. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Anyone ever try the low temp aluminum alloy rods? Allumalloy, Durafx...etc

I pulled my rivetted seats out of my boat and have about 20 ...3/32 holes to fill.

Robert

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

marine tex is good for aluminium and works better than JB weld for aluminium.

3. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    OK, I got some AS406 low temp rods. There are several brands of these rods..Allumaloy, Durafix, Hts2000...etc.

Anyway, I have determined there is nothing wrong with the rods and they definitely will bond to the boat. I had to use a die grinder to clean the weld up. However, the problem is in getting the boat hot enough to melt the rods.

If anyone has ever seen a demo at a flea market or something, you see the guy heat a drink can and rub the rod on it. The rod magically melts and makes a super fix. A drink can is very small and gets hot real fast, a boat is not small and requires a lot of heat. The metal you are welding is supposed to melt the rod, not the torch.

I worked about 2 hours and burnt 1/2 bottle of propane but finally fixed 2 holes pretty well; but I found out a few things.

1. Clean, clean, clean the metal. I used Scotch pads, Stainless brush, alcohol and flux.

2. get what ever you are welding horizontal. The "puddle" has to stay in the hole to fix it. Just about the time I got the holes in the sides filled, the stuff ran out.

3. clean the rods too. They are coated with oxide.

If you have an acetaline torch, this stuff would work great. Just keep the torch moving and rub the rod on the spot. When it melts, get that heat away.

But, if you don't have a torch and can afford it, take the boat to a welder. I am going to fix this myself out of spite. :)

Robert

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Try some Mapp gas? It burns hotter then propane.

5. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Yep, going to wally world today to get some.

Robert

6. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I have some of the durafix that I bought to fix rivet holes where I took the seats out of an old boat. Propane is useless. Mapp gas is better, but not by much. The rods work like a charm but you waste a lot of gas gettin to that point. I would suggest acetylene if you have access. Just be careful not to melt the boat. It took so long I quit fooling with it. If you ever get it on there though that Durafix is some tough stuff.

7. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    tried propane, tried mapp, no luck. you just can't get the aluminum hot enuff to melt the low temp rods. there is no risk of burning thru the boat, you just can't get it hot enuff. i used acetalene and oxygen , did a decent job. but vertical is very hard, overhead is impossible. will feed it electricity next time

8. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    While in the navy,I learned a trick for aluminum.It works for braising or bending it.Take an acetalien torch with out oxygen and blacken the area to be heated.Then take a neutral flame and heat the area.Instead of using an expensive brazing rod,a small diamiter arc welding electrode.The soot will leave about 25 degrees before the metal will melt and flow together.Try it,you will be a beliver.

9. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have come to the conclusion that the low temp rods are NOT worth the effort unless you have aceteline torch.

My advice to anyone who asks is do not waste your money trying to use them with a hand held bottle torch.

Robert