Low river advice

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bearsfan, May 24, 2007.

1. bearsfan

bearsfan New Member

State:
    north carolina
    When rivers are low do you change your strategies for finding cats? It always seems harder for me to either locate cats or get them to bite when the river is down. As always any help would be appreciated. If you give any profound advice that leads to the capture of a large catfish, I will name my seventh born son after you. Thank you and tight lines to all

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i second that question. i am going this weekend and the river is about 10 feet below where it should be right now. i have never done real well when it is low like this. any advice would be great.

3. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    when the river is hangin low i try to fish sandbar areas and also mouths where creeks might come out. also find the channell and fish it. most flats lay on the sand bars, and usually when the water is low they have no holes to drop into.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Whats a low river?
    Around here in Missouri, it seems they are always in flood stage.

5. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana

lol cutter u should come see the wabash on a hot day in aug i think u can wade most of it lol:lol:

6. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    which river are we saying is low. because the cape fear is not. is at right level it is every year this time. i find holes close to deeper ones and fish these. also fish areas i know where clam beds are. for some reason blues love them. for flatties i fish areas of trash and logs. hope this helps some.

7. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My personal experience here is that I catch more and better fish when the river is low.

Look for areas where a hole or trough is evident. Fish above and below these areas. Look for sand flats where the water is kind of slow and fish in these areas. Look for snags and downed trees and fish these areas too. If you find a spot that combines 2 or all of these you have a great spot.

Catfish are either on or off. Just because you didnt catch anything in a certain spot one night sure doesnt mean you wont kill 'em another night.

When the water is skinny, it seems easier to predict where they are for me.

8. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I fish in deep holes when the river is low.