161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
That thing only holds 50yds of 8lb test 😂

·
Registered
647 Posts
I hear ya. I have had good luck using their sharky III series for cats. But people have had very good luck with the Rover series and it seems like kastking is starting to get into the more expensive market which means better quality products. I use the sharky III as my smaller live bait setup and I have caught many many cats on it without it ever giving me a problem.
About Kastking. I've got a Kastking ultra lite spinning reel and a Rover 40, both far better than they get credit for. But because something get's more expensive doesn't mean it's better quality, just more expensive! Tell the truth, if I had got my Rover 40 before I ever got an ABU I probably wouldn't have an ABU today, just getting way to expensive for me!

·
Registered
647 Posts
My favorite low profile I had years ago, Shamino 100, boy was that a nice reel! These days I tend to shy away from low profile although I do have a small Daiwa that I use mostly for small mouth bass. It's my ultra lite of the casting reels. I have to say it's a lot nicer than I think, well I think it is. But it's just to small for me to take serious for big fish. For some reason, to me they just don't look like they are all that sturdy! Seem's that everyone that makes them also has a round reel or two on the shelf also. Kinda the difference between a D2 Cat and a D8! I love bait casting and if I could find a low profile that would handle 2# line and 1/32oz jigs for crappie, I'd maybe retire my ultra lite spinning rods! Tried my low profile Daiwa on Crappie out here and couldn't cast those little jigs. But if we actually had bigger crappie it would probably help. Second one I ever caught was with an old ABU 5000 using a 1/4oz jig with an auger tail fishing for bass. Would have liked to have got that one on that little Daiwa! Heaviest line I use on the Daiwa is 6# but then on my catfish rods the heaviest I have is 12# but mostly 10#. Don't get big cats that I know of around here and I like catching eating fish anyway. On very rare occassion I actually go fish for trout but it's sport, I throw all of them back! Now ya got me thinging I should look at a small Kastking low profile! Just wish low profiles weren't so ugly!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Here in FL. my cat rods do double duty for Snook, Jacks and Tarpon. I started to get arthritis in my hand and wrists. My old heavy Ambassadeurs were no fun to use anymore and palming the round reels was pure agony. I started to use the Daiwa Lexa 300WN. No clicker but then I realized I mostly freeline live bait or float fish and could live without the clicker. S.W.FL. bottoms are thick angel hair algae and I avoid the bottom. Now I've upgraded to Daiwa Tatula 300's. My arthritis can live with Low pro's. Low pro's have saved my fishing because I would've quit before having to settle on spinners for the rest of my life!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Here in FL. my cat rods do double duty for Snook, Jacks and Tarpon. I started to get arthritis in my hand and wrists. My old heavy Ambassadeurs were no fun to use anymore and palming the round reels was pure agony. I started to use the Daiwa Lexa 300WN. No clicker but then I realized I mostly freeline live bait or float fish and could live without the clicker. S.W.FL. bottoms are thick angel hair algae and I avoid the bottom. Now I've upgraded to Daiwa Tatula 300's. My arthritis can live with Low pro's. Low pro's have saved my fishing because I would've quit before having to settle on spinners for the rest of my life!
I don't have many straight fingers left because of arthritis but they seldom hurt. Low humidity around here. Over in the valley I used to hurt all over all the time!

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think i posted somewhere in this thread but i still like the kastking kapstan 300 low profile reel.its a beast and i can beat down any catfish with it and it does double duty on king salmon too.

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
731 Posts
For me, I have a heck of a time casting low profile reels without backlash.
I can't seem to get my thumb to the spool to avoid backlashes.
After being gifted an Abu 6500C3 (thank you yet again, Denny), I now have 2 6500C3s, 2 Piscifun Chaos Xs 50s, a Kastking Rover 60R, 2 Procat s and a South Bend OC-0505W.

All of them are around the "60" size range. Before next year's spawn, I plan to buy one or two in the "70" size range as well as at least a couple rods around 9 or 10 feet, M/H to H.

Everything else is spinners. And, much to my irritation, at least 90 of the 110 fish I counted as caught this year were on my two lightest rigs: a Lew's XfinityXJreel on a Lew's Xfinity XJ SpeedStick rod (I consider it an ultralight), and a small Zebco spinner on a 7' Medium action rod.

BUT, like I told my granddaughter, my New Year's resolution is going to be, I'm going to catch a big catfish of all three species!!!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
The Komodo 363 and Daiwa 400cc have 25 pounds of drag and the Komodo 463 has 30 pounds.

These three reels have bait clickers which are helpful for some catfishing applications.

The Komodo and Lexa low-profile baitcasters are compact, powerful and designed for casting heavy lures or baits with big fish in mind.

I very seldom use my 6500 c3 or 7000 c3 reels since the introduction of the Komodo's and Lexa with bait clicker.

Lee
Bought a 363p komodo & like it one of the smoothest, reel I have ever own, have caught a few fish on it, 1 Bluecat 36" long, handle it well, fishing friends are impressed with it, a little priceie, for me anyway, but you get what you pay for, wish it was a half size bigger. looking in near further, to buy a 463P. any good place, with deals, thumbs up from me on , the 363P,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bought a 363p komodo & like it one of the smoothest, reel I have ever own, have caught a few fish on it, 1 Bluecat 36" long, handle it well, fishing friends are impressed with it, a little priceie, for me anyway, but you get what you pay for, wish it was a half size bigger. looking in near further, to buy a 463P. any good place, with deals, thumbs up from me on , the 363P,
I use the Komodo 471’s when I catfish or saltwater fish. Fantastic reels which seem to keep increasing in price everytime I check. I will say that if you routinely use a bait clicker, the 471 is not for you. The bait clicker is really weak and will not hold if you are suspending heavy baits or fishing decent current. If you are lake fishing on the bottom, the clicker is fine. That is my only complaint with the reel.

161 - 172 of 172 Posts