Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
141 - 160 of 172 Posts

·
Banned
1,651 Posts
I cleaned them as well as I could. Didnt want to break anything getting the one bearing out. Might get a lil deeper into it this winter
I can post some pics of how you can do it.

I had to come back under a different n as me after mutt gave me the boot when I blasted the idea of bowfishing for trophy cats.

It is BS that on a catfish forum you get in trouble for speaking up for catfish and speaking against people who would want to wreak catfishing.

If you were on a bass forum and bowfishing for bass was promoted, you would not get banned for bad mouthing people who bowfish for bass.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm reviving an older post, but I've really been eyeing the Okuma Citrix 350. It has an awesome line capacity for a 'low profile' reel, a crazy strong drag compared to my old standby favorite Abu 6500's and last but definitely not least; it has a friggin' bait clicker on it! Almost sounds too good to be true. I'm pretty certain I'll be buying one pretty soon. My only apprehension is that it's an Okuma, which from my experience are very low quality reels. Like throw away reels, versus the rebuild and last forever Abu Ambassadeurs . If I get one I'll definitely reply with my thoughts and opinions of the reel when I first get it and again once I'm able to actually have some time to test it out on the water, hopefully with some monster flathead catches under its belt.

·
Banned
1,651 Posts
I'm reviving an older post, but I've really been eyeing the Okuma Citrix 350. It has an awesome line capacity for a 'low profile' reel, a crazy strong drag compared to my old standby favorite Abu 6500's and last but definitely not least; it has a friggin' bait clicker on it! Almost sounds too good to be true. I'm pretty certain I'll be buying one pretty soon. My only apprehension is that it's an Okuma, which from my experience are very low quality reels. Like throw away reels, versus the rebuild and last forever Abu Ambassadeurs . If I get one I'll definitely reply with my thoughts and opinions of the reel when I first get it and again once I'm able to actually have some time to test it out on the water, hopefully with some monster flathead catches under its belt.
Buy a low end Okuma and yes it will be a throw away reel, but that goes with any brand. I have trashed and thrown away plenty of low end Abus and Shimanos.

Okuma makes so really high quality high end gear and just like all brands you do have to go above a specific price point to buy that quality.

The Citrix 350 is far from a throw away reel.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Try to scoop you up an older revo toro 60. I have both the silver one that is 5.4:1 ratio that I use for muskies, and the winch (same reel except 4.6:1 ratio) that i use for flathead fishing. They hold 250 yards of 14#mono, 7bb, loud clicker, and only 10.8 oz. Extremely smooth. Just my personal preference I dont care for higher speed reels any kind of catfishing, Im not Burning topwater baits catfishing. I do agree with the above comment about the okumas. I have broke several of the cheap okumas in the past, I have a Okuma Komodo 463 that I use for muskie fishing, It is built great. Though as heavy as it is it sure doesnt hold much line.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Very cool to hear about the Revo's, I wasnt aware they were available with clickers, or that they held that much line either. Plus with 7 bb's they have to be super smooth. Good gear ratios too! Thanks for broadening my scope for another couple of low profiles. They seem like if you get one that you'd totally abandon the old school round reels. That's a lot of goodies in a super lightweight and compact package.

·
Banned
1,651 Posts
Try to scoop you up an older revo toro 60. I have both the silver one that is 5.4:1 ratio that I use for muskies, and the winch (same reel except 4.6:1 ratio) that i use for flathead fishing. They hold 250 yards of 14#mono, 7bb, loud clicker, and only 10.8 oz. Extremely smooth. Just my personal preference I dont care for higher speed reels any kind of catfishing, Im not Burning topwater baits catfishing. I do agree with the above comment about the okumas. I have broke several of the cheap okumas in the past, I have a Okuma Komodo 463 that I use for muskie fishing, It is built great. Though as heavy as it is it sure doesnt hold much line.
The 400 sized Komodos will hold 300yds of 65lb braid, how much more do you want?:laugh:

Only the now discontinued Tranx 500s hold more for a low profile reel.

·
Banned
1,651 Posts
Very cool to hear about the Revo's, I wasnt aware they were available with clickers, or that they held that much line either. Plus with 7 bb's they have to be super smooth. Good gear ratios too! Thanks for broadening my scope for another couple of low profiles. They seem like if you get one that you'd totally abandon the old school round reels. That's a lot of goodies in a super lightweight and compact package.
There are definitely a lot of benefits to using a low profile reel over a round baitcasting reel.

I really have not found the same to be true in reverse.

I have 3 Komodo 471SS reels and they get used for just about all species and all fishing applications. They are also high speed, but you will not notice a lack of cranking power what so ever.

·
Banned
1,651 Posts
I didn't know the discontinued the Tranx 500. Many times I held one in my hand and almost bought it and didn't.

A few reasons...no clicker...I hated the gawdy looking handle and I never could find a replacement handle for sale to fit it

and for 500 bucks...it had better be everything I want and then some more
I thought about buying the tranx 500 in the past as well, but there were a number of reasons I didn't buy it.

Price for what you get. If you want a low profile baitcasting reel with the cranking power of the Tranx 500, but greater durability against heavy cranking at less then half the price, just buy a Lexa 400HD or a Komodo 463/471SS and slap a longer cranking handle on them.

The Tranx 500's claim to fame was that cranking power, but that cranking power was a product of simply having a power handle from a conventional reel (much longer then the typical baitcaster power handles) slapped on it.

The main gear of the Komodo 463/471 and the Lexa 400 are slightly larger in diameter the the Tranx 500 main gear. They also hae spools that are smaller in diameter then the Tranx 500. So technically you could get a bit more torque out of one of those reels using the right handle vs a Tranx 500.

Really, the only advantage the Tranx 500 had on competition was line capacity. However, as big as the Tranx 500 was it defeated the point of a low profile design which was compactness and an egronomic design. If you needed the extra line capacity, save yourself the money and get a true conventional reel.

Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
Eric from Indianapolis
2,195 Posts
I'm with Ramon on this one. The new (as of earlier this year) Shimano Tekota 600 has been completely redesigned. Fits 300+ yards of 65# braid, lightweight, very low profile, smooth as butter, and a power handle. Not the cheapest choice though, but far from $500 (think I paid $209?).
I bought the reel for bumping/walking, but the more I use it the more I wish I had this reel on all of my rods.
Clicker is loud. My only complaint is that the reel doesn't have a convenient thumb actuated bail release.

·
Premium Member
11,797 Posts
I ordered a Lexa 400 6.3/1 to go on my 8'6'' XH 13 Fishing muskie rod yesterday. Wife says I can't have it til Christmas though :unhappy:
Haha. I feel your pain Steve. Tell her if you can get the new line and rod you need, you think you will be able to wait.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I too really like the new Tekota. I just purchased the 500 size which holds 330 yards of 50lb power pro and 240 yards of 65lb, which is plenty for me. The compact size, smoothness of casting and retrieving and the loud clicker make it an awesome reel. It is a little pricey, I paid $176.00 on eBay. I have it mounted on a 7’ medium heavy Mojo Cat and I will add another of that same setup to my arsenal for sure. A few pics of the reel with a Fathom II 15lw for size comparison since they hold about the same amount of line, and some pics of the reel on the rod.
Auto part Automotive engine part Metal
Audio equipment Electronic instrument Technology Cameras & optics
Helmet Personal protective equipment Audio equipment Electronic instrument Sports gear
Room Microphone stand Tripod Floor Microphone
Room Flooring

141 - 160 of 172 Posts